Nugget Hog
Jr. Member
I lived in alaska for 3 years and did alot of gold prospecting while I was there. One day I was in a very remote area and decided to climb a small mountain that was near me just to get a better layout of the area. When I reached the top I noticed that this was the side of an old volcano and that there was a volcanic lake on the other side. I sat on top resting and saw something in the water. The water was crystal clear but there was wind so I couldn't get a clear view for quite some time. Finally the wind died down long enough for me to make out an aiplane. It was a long ways down, I'm guessing 100+ feet but I could see it was a military plane. I have been to many Sun n Fun shows and also worked at an airport for 2 years so I knew just about all types of planes.
When I returned to town I asked around if anyone had heard of a military plane that crashed in the mountains. Finally one of the old timers told me that there was a P51 that had engine trouble that landed on some ice. The ice melted and the plane sunk. Although I had a dry suite that I used with my gold dredge, I couldn't find a scuba tank anywhere in town. The area I found it in is 1200 miles north of Anchorage. Seward Peninsula area. There are no roads, you have fly in or take a boat in the summer time.
That was 10 years ago but I'm sure it's still there. It was 50 miles from town and probably 10 miles up a creek on my Honda 4x4 and a few miles on foot. Funny thing is that I didn't find a thing with my fisher gold bug that day.
I am back in Florida now still defrosting. My efforts are now focused on South America but I might go back there in a few years just to check things out.
Are there any parts on these planes worth anything? Although underwater, things should be perfectly preserved because of the cold water.
No, I don't have any pictures. Never took a camera prospecting and never even went back.
Captain James
When I returned to town I asked around if anyone had heard of a military plane that crashed in the mountains. Finally one of the old timers told me that there was a P51 that had engine trouble that landed on some ice. The ice melted and the plane sunk. Although I had a dry suite that I used with my gold dredge, I couldn't find a scuba tank anywhere in town. The area I found it in is 1200 miles north of Anchorage. Seward Peninsula area. There are no roads, you have fly in or take a boat in the summer time.
That was 10 years ago but I'm sure it's still there. It was 50 miles from town and probably 10 miles up a creek on my Honda 4x4 and a few miles on foot. Funny thing is that I didn't find a thing with my fisher gold bug that day.
I am back in Florida now still defrosting. My efforts are now focused on South America but I might go back there in a few years just to check things out.
Are there any parts on these planes worth anything? Although underwater, things should be perfectly preserved because of the cold water.
No, I don't have any pictures. Never took a camera prospecting and never even went back.
Captain James
Upvote
0
Wow! I read through the entire thread and am amazed at what lies nearby. I lived in Plant City until February of this year and drove on I-4 and Hwy. 92 thousands of times to and from work in Tampa. Just thinking of all the times I passed by the B26 site and never knew it was there. Back in the late 90's I lived in Silverdale, Washington and hiked and camped in the Olympic Mountains on the Olympic Peninsula every weekend. Well, up in the Olympic Mountains there is a crashed bomber (can't remember exactly what model) site that is on a hiking trail. The information about the crash is very public and is printed in hiking books about the Pacific Northwest. If I remember correctly most of the men survived the crash which was back in the 50's. Not much is left there but the main fuselage is there and the engines were there the last time I saw it in 1999. Also one of the landing gear is still there with the wheel still attached. Interestingly enough the site it crashed on is an old mining camp from around 1910 or so and the remains of that shanty town are within yards of the crashed bomber. The trail that leads to the crash site and the shanty town is a side trail from the main trail and if you look closely as you hike you will see several tunnels carved into solid rock as they searched for
Copper







