🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy. While hunting a Civil War site I got a huge signal beside a tree. Kicked the leaves aside and, "Forsooth! Do mine eyes betray me?? Be that a gun barrel??" When I picked it up I quickly realized that I had made an incredible find. I didn't even know they HAD .22 semi-automatic repeating rifles with scopes in the 1860s!

DSCN2761.JPG

Seriously though, who leaves their rifle (with a scope) in a 10 acre patch of woods divided equally by a creek (surely you can remember which side of the creek you were hunting on) almost within SIGHT of a house, and never goes back to get it? Honestly, it wouldn't have been that hard to find this rifle. And I'm sure it had nothing to do with that double shooting at that same house in 1977.

DSCN2762.JPG

Relax. I'm joking. Probably a bad one. No crimes were committed on that property, except a guy did shoot another guy off a hay wagon once in the 1930s. Suspected him of hanky-panky with the wife. Killed him. But he used a pistol, so I think we're safe there. Looks like maybe a Marlin to me. All I can read is "New Haven" on the trigger guard. Tube fed. Gold-plated trigger.

HEY! I finally found GOLD!!!!!

Upvote 32

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I once had a chainsaw that SHOULD have been buried!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a model 60 to me also. I have re-blued several, mostly .22's, that were left in the woods or the yard and forgotten about. One for 3 years. That's a neat find...d2

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Where the bolt is on the found rifle looks different than on the Marlin 60. Different variations? What is the gold-toned metal...steel? Is it brass? I haven't seen a Marlin 60 made in brass, but then I'm no gun fancier.

Swordsnsalt

Greenie
Feb 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a browning rifle with gold plated trigger and bead site..its a newer model lever though..nice find!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I found lever actions that were similar, but this wasn't lever - trigger guard gives that away.

...Maybe a custom job?? Maybe a Heinz 57??

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's probably a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. I got one with a 4X Weatherby scope for my birthday when I was 16 years old. I've shot it every year since and it still functions and shoots like brand new. I'm 62 years old now, that's 46 years of shooting. Best built gun I've ever owned and I've owned many.

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I have a marlin .22 with brass colored trigger. New Haven is Marlin.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
New Haven is their own company. (<-- actually, this may not be correct) They also made some models for other companies, such as Mossberg. Other firearms companies are based or have locations in New Haven, Conn.

The Marlin 39A is a lever action.

EDIT: Found out that Mossberg made some guns but, instead of putting Mossberg on them, the brand name is New Haven. So either the website I read this on was wrong, or the New Haven .410 shotgun listed on that website that I actually have right now is made by Mossberg. Apparently it gets even more complicated, as Winchester and Marlin get thrown into the mix. Both have/have had facilities "in" New Haven, Conn., but don't know where it went from there.

The only thing I "DO" know is, I have yet to find a gun that looks like this one. But I'm not a gun nut, so that's not saying much!! It looks closest to a Marlin 60, I think, but there are definite differences to the one in the OP.

Last edited:

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it says new haven ct its a marlin

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the scope have a manufacturer on it?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is missing alot of pieces, must have been out there for a very long time. Dropped by a hunter, forgotten at a campsite, ditched purposefully, we may never know :icon_scratch:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Model 60 22lr one of the most common 22's out there , cool find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread