🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy. While hunting a Civil War site I got a huge signal beside a tree. Kicked the leaves aside and, "Forsooth! Do mine eyes betray me?? Be that a gun barrel??" When I picked it up I quickly realized that I had made an incredible find. I didn't even know they HAD .22 semi-automatic repeating rifles with scopes in the 1860s!

DSCN2761.JPG

Seriously though, who leaves their rifle (with a scope) in a 10 acre patch of woods divided equally by a creek (surely you can remember which side of the creek you were hunting on) almost within SIGHT of a house, and never goes back to get it? Honestly, it wouldn't have been that hard to find this rifle. And I'm sure it had nothing to do with that double shooting at that same house in 1977.

DSCN2762.JPG

Relax. I'm joking. Probably a bad one. No crimes were committed on that property, except a guy did shoot another guy off a hay wagon once in the 1930s. Suspected him of hanky-panky with the wife. Killed him. But he used a pistol, so I think we're safe there. Looks like maybe a Marlin to me. All I can read is "New Haven" on the trigger guard. Tube fed. Gold-plated trigger.

HEY! I finally found GOLD!!!!!

Upvote 32

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome!! Is the tube below the barrel loaded with shells? If so there might be one in the chamber. Even if not there might be one. Looks like it is a possible clean up to fire again rifle.

If you can find a plastic container long enough with a cover over it, you can soak it in equal parts mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid. That's what I used to get my 357 magnum freed and then a gunsmith replaced the main spring and re timed it. It is a working pistol now after over 40 years underwater.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really, what kind of moron leaves a gun somewhere and just forgets about it? odd. very odd

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible find! Maybe someone camped there then rode off and was too far away to turn back.

c.d.

Feb 2, 2015
WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of firearms are lost while riding ATV's these days.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a coon hunter? I have had to go back to the tree before to get a rifle that was left by someone in the excitement.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL maybe someone shot them-self in the foot & hobbled out in pain for the nearest hospital, while swearing off guns.
That or they broke it falling out the Tree.:laughing7:

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the barrel meets the receiver, on the barrel will be all the info stamped on what looks like a Ruger 10-22 to me at a glance. Maybe the guy who lost it, really left it and died before retrieving it? There has to be millions of scenarios we could all surmise.
I would bet you just found a very nice workable 22. Did you unload it? Always point a gun in a safe direction, always assume a gun is loaded. Gun safety 101!
I take it back, not a 10-22
Your probably right, Marlin

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's something you don't find every day. I have a Marlin model 60 that looks just like that.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. The owner probably stopped to take a leak & forgot it !

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know...it looks to me to be too new to have the stock decay away. Looks to me like somebody finally got the shot of a lifetime. Missed the deer and wrapped the gun around a tree. :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the receiver brass? It looks brass in the photos.

I've spent over an hour searching for something that fits these images - nothing! Best I can suggest is to get some electrolosis going on that barrel so you can read more of the markings. Can you post a pic of where you see New Haven?

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup marlin 60 or its predecessor

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what the predecessor was, but that's not a Marlin 60.

The trigger assy looks the same, the barrel assy looks pretty darn close, but that's where the similarities end.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, when I was 12 or so I left a pellet gun in the woods, parents wouldn't let me have one, would go out shooting cans and bottles then I would hide it in the brush till one day it wasn't there.
Congrats on the find.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 to me. As to how it got there.... Somewhere in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois there is a Remington 870 12 gauge with a camo stock, foregrip and sling.... I'm willing to bet it's still leaned up against a tree somewhere where my cousin left it. He had left it against a tree and walked back to the truck for coffee and couldn't find the spot again when he went back... We looked for a while but no luck...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread