I found the weirdest mineral in a bag of rocks for sale at thriftstore...

Thejeffness

Aug 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So few years ago was looking around salvation army and found a giant plastic bag filled with dirt and rocks for sale for few bucks. I bought it, took it home, cleaned the rocks/minerals off and....what a find!
Quartz, other crystals or rocks where some were labelled with what they were or where they were from. Some from India, some from europe I think...but this one below was one of ones lacking any identification of location or type of rock, or so i recall.

Clearly its comprised of many minerals....by looking at it id guess 5 minimum...one of the most striking features of this specimen are these tiny green crystal bumps growing randomly throughtour rock..at first i thought emerald pieces, but dont know much about rocks...

this thing is so bizarre i am kind of worried now that its radioactive or asbestos. I broke it into few pieces in these pics, had to throw it at ground pretty hard over and over btw...please help identify these minerals first if u can...

The small green crystal patches..

The small metallic silvery looking parts that shimmer and sparkle like the green crystals

The intense turquiose color that seemed to be a lot more prevelent when breaking rock in half...

The greyish iron but not as shiny stripe or vein thru some parts of rock..

The greenish color of rock that is the most.dominant feature...same as turquoise brighter part just lighter color?

Any other parts of rock that stand out...there are some ugly brownish areas but they small.

20210816_232644.jpg

20210816_232323.jpg

20210816_232409.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thejeffness

Aug 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh and biggest piece there about half the size of a mans fist...whole thing when together was about size of apple

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be ores of copper. The green, malachite, the blue probably chrysocolla or such. The copper minerals have numerous forms.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread