Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED I Give Up! Coin? Pendant?

Over the past school year, both of my parents unexpectedly passed away...six months apart, leaving my siblings and I to clean out their house and its 52-years-of-marriage contents. This heavy, yet small metal "thing" was in my mom's jewelry box. However, not everything in her jewelry box is jewelry (there are kids' teeth, pretty rocks, flint pieces, love notes, etc.). My dad was an avid arrowhead hunter, having found thousands of arrowheads and/or arrowhead pieces, as well as pottery, marbles, tools, and other artifacts. So, with that information, I don't know if this piece is jewelry, or something my dad made, or possibly something my dad found in a plowed field during an arrowhead hunt. I've tried a google search with both descriptions and photos, but I can't find anything similar.

One side says "72 23" and the other side appears to say "MARY" but I'm not sure. It's about the size of a penny but thicker and heavier. The edges remind me of a gear. I can't tell if there's an area (broken off) that would be used to attach to a necklace or not. I would sincerely appreciate any help, any ideas, and/or any leads to identify what this is. Thank you!

Attachments

• File_001 (9).jpeg
    File_001 (9).jpeg
    747.1 KB · Views: 78
  • File_000 (34).jpeg
    File_000 (34).jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 70
  • File_000 (33).jpeg
    File_000 (33).jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about your parents passing. Your object looks like a lead seal, your dad may have found, looking for arrowheads.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
My Heart felt condolences for your loss

Trapperart is correct your item is a lead seal used on everything from money bags to wheat grain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHary

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, both of you, for the condolences and for the suggestion as to what it could be. I'm going to look into that and see what I come up with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHary

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I doubted you trapperart and HuntinDog, but after a quick search it's obvious that you were right. I enjoyed my "history lesson" for the day as I researched "lead seal" - and I can't wait to tell my brother and sister what it is! Again, thank you!

Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHary my truly heartfelt condolences to you and your siblings. I found your post very touching. I also keep things just like your mother did in my jewelry boxes. Those are the things that are more priceless than any jewelry could ever be! Let it give you comfort in knowing just how much your parents loved each other and their children. :angel2: :angel1:

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry about your losses. My mom has some of the exact same things in her jewelry box! God bless.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread