What's new

I Guess this is NOT a Samurai/Kattano Sword,Military,etc.,What is it???

tokenhead

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
848
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Location
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:,Hello Everybody !,I have posted this under"Antique's&Collectible's"/Military&Arm's but no reply's and only 12 looked so i figured i'd try"what is it", why?,Well because it's one of the 1st. place's i go when on TN !!! That said,The approx.overall lenght is 15in.,Blade is approx.From handle(?)10.5in.Long...It is(blade)secure in handle so i can't pull out blade(or should i?)for full length,any marking's,etc.So any info.,input or comment's about blade are welcome...HH ALL !!!
P.S. Both peiece's do NOT match up,one shorter,do not line up end to end,etc.Could this possibly be home made? Bone(ivory?) look's old,Brass gaurd(?)on blade sides up&down.I have to look closer under better light or UV light of blade may be hint of acid etching on it.
(Actually recently bought at deceaced relative estate,Grandfather was in WW1&2)
 

Attachments

  • Picture 2615.webp
    Picture 2615.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Picture 2616.webp
    Picture 2616.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 440
  • Picture 2621.webp
    Picture 2621.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Picture 2613.webp
    Picture 2613.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Picture 2623.webp
    Picture 2623.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 433
  • Picture 2615.webp
    Picture 2615.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Picture 2616.webp
    Picture 2616.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 424
  • Picture 2617.webp
    Picture 2617.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 430
  • Picture 2621.webp
    Picture 2621.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 439
  • Picture 2613.webp
    Picture 2613.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Picture 2618.webp
    Picture 2618.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 436
Hi tokenhead, I don't know much about swords but I do have a few books on old edged weapons, I shall go and dig them ou and have a look. Something about the Knife/sword says Chinese not Japanese, also is there a pin going through the handle?, I can't see from the photo.

hammered
 
Upvote 0
hammered said:
Hi tokenhead, I don't know much about swords but I do have a few books on old edged weapons, I shall go and dig them ou and have a look. Something about the Knife/sword says Chinese not Japanese, also is there a pin going through the handle?, I can't see from the photo.

hammered
:icon_thumright:,Thank's for input&future investigation...NO pin going through handle,held in by some type of wedge,i'm going to try&pull out blade,again thank's!!! :read2:, :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
Interesting..
The blade looks good for what is called a "wakizashi" or "kodachi", I think it may be a little long to be considered tanto.
(don't quote me on that, I don't remember exact measurements right now)
I don't know WHAT to make of that bone handle....
try pulling the handle off (the area is called the nakago).. If it IS legit it will have characters there..

A good close up of that blade would help immeasurably.
:icon_thumright:,Thank's for info.&input...I have tried to just pull the blade out by could not,I am going to secure it&try again.It look's like at least an in.&1/2 to two in.into handle,I'll be sure to post once blade is off! Til then...HH ALL !
 
Upvote 0
I would be more concerned with the quality of the steel and go from there.
Any markings on the steel?
close up of the balde surface?
At first glance, handle looks modern
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Defenately Japanese....The tang should have Kanji writing (usually the swordsmiths name) on it if you get the grip off.
 
Upvote 0
I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's probably Korean. If it is, and dates from before the Japanese occupation, it'll have some value, as a lot of that stuff was confiscated and destroyed....
 
Upvote 0
Here is one circa 1900:

bq2011-1.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
tokenhead said:
DCMatt said:
Thank's DCMatt...When i hit the link it will not open...I'll try another way,Again thank's for input&intrest...Got the blade off,no VISIBLE mark's...pics soon :thumbsup:

Try this:

http://www.gundersonmilitaria.com/japtantobonemountedGmG.jpg Beware LARGE pic.

I saw a couple more from various on-line auctions. No documentation but all implied Japanese souvenir or tourist item from the 20th C.

That said, one sold for $400+.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
Here is one circa 1900:

bq2011-1.jpg


DCMatt
:notworthy:,DCMatt you found it !!! thank's alot,that is an exact match,well almost,i'm missing a peice or two... :thumbsup:,NOT the one above but from first link i said i could not open...But got 2 it by search...Thank's again DCMatt... :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom