New Colonial Spot: Coins, Pewter Spoons, and an 18th Century Sword Guard!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!!Update on Sword Guard Below!!!

Didn't have a lot of time to detect and I wasn't expecting to find much. There's a spot in the hills I found a year or so back with two 18th century foundations right next to an old road and maybe 150 feet apart. Both had been detected before, but they're super trashy since they were a party spot in the 60s so I usually find a mid tone or two that actually end up being old.

This time I was checking the ground between the two which I was hoping would have had a little traffic 200 years ago. Almost in the middle of the two was a weird single line pile of rocks and right next to that pile I pulled out a super deep high tone:

Pewter Spoon.jpg

An intact 18th century pewter spoon! I had been expecting a large chunk of iron so it's a small miracle that I didn't break this pulling it out. Whole spoons from this period are exceptionally rare to find so imagine my surprise when I pulled out a second:

IMG_20210421_211218.jpg

Bent and very crumbly, but unmistakably a rat-tail pewter spoon. Both of these would have been mid 18th century to around the Rev War period so quite early for my area. There were a couple more fragments including a larger bowl rat-tail spoon, but everything was in a very small radius so it seems I stumbled on a third homesite in this little stretch!

IMG_20210421_211356.jpg

Early buttons including a drilled shank tombac seem to confirm the date range and oddly I found numerous fragments of worked copper sheet. There were also a surprising number of copper coins for such a small area:

IMG_20210421_211443.jpg IMG_20210421_211615.jpg IMG_20210421_211518.jpg

Not in the best of shape, but the three most recognizable were a counterfeit King George III half penny, a decent 1749 King George II half penny, and a Vermont Copper. It's funny, I didn't think much of the Vermont Copper at first since it wasn't in very good shape. It was actually on the surface, but even still the patina was partially gone. I was looking at it under magnification and assumed trying to attribute a die was a waste of time, but there was an odd line going through the reverse impression.

IMG_20210421_212959.jpg IMG_20210421_212802.jpg

I tried to get the lighting to highlight it in the above photos, but it's very hard to see with the mottling of the patina. Anyways, it turns out that the line is a die crack that's diagnostic of the Ryder 26, one of the rarest Vermont Coppers! :hello2: There are less than 30 known and the condition census example only has "Fine" features. It's a little sad because the obverse of this shows XF to AU details on the bust. If the ground conditions had created a stable patina on both sides this would have been the finest known specimen. Ah well, still an amazing rush when I realized what it was!

As cool as that is, it may still not be the best find of the day. I got a large signal right on the surface and given this spot I was sure it was beer can lid number 42, but instead it was a large piece of brass;

Sword Guard.jpg

I could see a design through the dirt, but I figured it was a piece of horse brass even though the shape was odd. It wasn't until I cleaned it up that I saw the square hole and realized it was a sword guard!

IMG_20210421_211702.jpg IMG_20210421_211725.jpg

Not only is it my first sword guard, but it's quite the unique design too! There are the two busts, male and female, and between them appears to be two figures. I gather from my research that small swords were popular accessories amongst fashionable men (of means) in the 18th century. Below is an intact example and you can see the little ball-ended stalk similar to the one on my example:

Sword_Silver_GW0003.jpg

While many of the swords had decorated guards, I've been unable to find a match to this one and I suspect that it's commemorating a royal marriage or some other similar event. I'm hoping some of the sword experts here have seen a similar example and could shed some light on it!

In any case this was an extraordinary hunt and gives me hope that there are more little foundations in this area waiting to be found!

Update:

I now have a confirmed ID for this sword guard and it's much older than I thought and if possible, even cooler!!! :hello2:

So for starters, the two busts are actually William and Mary as in the British monarchs at the end of the 17th century! It was Iron Patch that suggested this and I did some searching around and first found a commemorative medal made to celebrate their coronation that looked similar:

1048229.jpg

And then after much searching online I found a surviving example of the sword that confirms it!

AE40-Late-17C-English-William-and-Mary-Hanger-Sword.jpg AE40-2.jpg

The site with the sword had this in the description:

With the heads of King William III (England) / II (Scotland) and Queen Mary II who jointly reigned from 1689 to 1694, embossed to the guard. The blade bears the "Kings Head Mask" which some thought depicted the previous King James II / VII, but this sword tends to prove that it is actually a Solingen (Prussia) maker's mark. These swords were designed as hunting swords but were also used by naval and even army officers.

So there you have it; this is well over 325 years old! This area wasn't even settled until the 1750's so it was probably an heirloom by the time it was lost and who knows, maybe even the children or grandchildren of a British military officer. Talk about a once in a lifetime find!!!!

IMG_20210410_231627.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Incredible hunt, incredible finds!! Well done! :icon_thumleft::thumbsup:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Good job detecting the path less traveled.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!! Very Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds, congrats on the guard.

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Saves!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your hunch paid off big time!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool hand guard! For as many swords as there was the guards sure don't turn up much. But than again you don't lose a sword as easy as you do a button.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable hunt! Must have been so much fun popping all of those 1700’s coins and relics. Congrats!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That sword guard is very cool

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure lucky to have that die crack! Made for an easy ID. That was quite a hunt.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holy smokes, big time gratz on those amazing recoveries!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Well done Paleo. I would have been happy with just the pewter. But the coppers (nice score on the VT) and the sword guard put that hunt over the top.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar hunt... well done and then some.

Banner finds IMO.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great hunt...there's a lot of history on that hill!!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freaking amazing finds, love that guard, banner colonial history you've got there.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freaking amazing finds, love that guard, banner colonial history you've got there.

Thanks, you too with the GW button you just posted!!! Some awesome finds coming out of Massachusetts lately!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions