What's new

I had a New Silver Coin Minted for Me at the Carson City Mint!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
5,675
Golden Thread
2
Location
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During a family Thanksgiving reunion in the state of Nevada near Carson City I toured the Carson City Mint! The last Friday of every month for only 3 hours the mint will press a silver medallion for you in the original coin press that was used to make the Seated Liberty coins that were minted from 1870 to 1878. The highly desirable "CC" mint mark is well know by coin collectors. Some of the most rarest U.S. silver coins have this mark. Well worth a visit to the mint in Carson City, it's a great place to see.
 

Attachments

  • Carson City Mint pics 001.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 001.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Carson City Mint pics 002.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 002.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Carson City Mint pics 003.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 003.webp
    86.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Carson City Mint pics 004.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 004.webp
    88.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Carson City Mint pics 005.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 005.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Carson City Mint pics 006.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 006.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Carson City Mint pics 007.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 007.webp
    77.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Carson City Mint pics 008.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 008.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Carson City Mint pics 009.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 009.webp
    79.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Carson City Mint pics 010.webp
    Carson City Mint pics 010.webp
    87.2 KB · Views: 136
To cool im jealous. Thanks for sharing awesome post.
 
That is realy awesome.Thats a piece of history now.
 
I remember two 12 pounder field pieces sitting in front of that building. I think sometime in the 60's they moved the guns to Fort Churchill. The main thing I remember about that museum is in the basement they made it look like you were down in a mine, which to me is the best way to tour a mine, basically on top of the ground. I don't like the idea of going down a hole in the ground over the top of my head.
 
Can you PM me or share here the cost? I'm near Reno. That's a cool piece.
 
Great story and experience and pics! I had no idea...
Whatever the cost, surely the experience outweighs any premium.
Well done sir.
Peace ✌
 
There is a story that one night in the 1800's when the Carson City mint was an operating mint that a janitor cleared a table into the trash. I guess he wasn't too bright. The table had several silver dollar blanks on it and a set of silver dollar dies. Everything went to the old city dump. At years end they would give the dies an acid bath so they couldn't be used again. So somewhere in the old city dump are a set of dies that didn't get their acid bath. Every weekend there were people screening the dump. A dectector was useless there. Don't know if the dump has been built on or what happened to it. Not sure I even remember what street it was on. Maybe someone has found the dies by now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom