What's new

I have competition

Moneypenny

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
So I live in a mostly rich area and there is noticeably less competition on deals (drugstore freebies, Black Friday, etc.) than other areas I've been to. But I'm definitely not the only one half-hunting in my area. I've been asking at whatever banks I pass (there are banks everywhere around here) and have gotten two "I just sold them all" responses.

Today I went to a nearby bank that had none a few weeks ago, and they had $190. Only had $40 on me (need to stop doing that), but the four rolls I got were all customer wrapped with a red marker line down the side of the wrapper. I don't mind the competition, but maybe I should follow suit and dump at that bank. (I'll still look at those four rolls, since I have them.)

In 2011 so far I've done a total of $147.50 in halves, $10 dimes, $10 nickels, all skunk, from several different banks. $100 was bank wrapped rolls and $40 was the dumps I just got. Still not sure about ordering boxes. But as it is, I'm having fun.
 
Upvote 0
Moneypenny, I am in Florida also but know I'm not in your area as you say you live in a mostly rich area. But I might be on the other side of the tracks. Where are you located?? HH

FL Junkman
 
Buy all halves, regardless of whether you are "certain" they are dumps. 40%'ers escape detection all the time. Heck, today someone posted their finds including a 90%'er that was marked by a careless hunter. Also, if for example there is $460 available, $450 might be someone's bad, clad, but the other roll might be a solid roll of walkers.
 
I always carry extra cash, just in case the bank, store or some person has halfs on them. I bought 140.00 in halfs at the bank today while I was picking up some boxes. I never bought rolls before. I went through 13 of them and said this has got to be someones dump, but last roll had 2 /40s.
 
Yep, I always try to buy them all. A week or so ago, I was able to do some random bank stops with my freshly cashed paycheck. I hit 5 banks, bought all the halves that they had. At one bank, I got $100 worth. All of the rolls were marked with "1971 Kennedys" or "Bicentennial Kennedys", "Kennedys" or the like. Sure enough, the one marked "1971 Kennedys" was a full roll of BU-MS 1971-D Kennedys. The "Bicentennial Kennedys" was a full roll of BU-MS 1976-D Kennedys. The rest were circulated, somewhat random dates (but none later than 1986). In another marked roll, I found a single 1968D 40%er. It was one of the 4 40%ers I found that day. The other three had come from another bank. I kept the BU-MS '71Ds and '76Ds for shits and giggles.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Always keep checking back though. While many times "we just got a lot of half dollars" might indicate you are at someone's dump bank, there are other times where that "lot of half dollars" was grandpa's coin collection and have 3 or 4 solid silver rolls.
 
FL Junkman said:
Moneypenny, I am in Florida also but know I'm not in your area as you say you live in a mostly rich area. But I might be on the other side of the tracks. Where are you located?? HH

FL Junkman

I'm in SW FL but occasionally on the other coast also. How is the CRH near you?

To everyone telling me to get the rest: you are right. Nothing to lose really. Over time I'll see whether this is REALLY someone's dump bank. I do think the rolls I got were dumps as they were marked and fairly large quantity, but as you said, two different customers could have brought halves recently or the person who dumped could be edge-sorting. Anyway... I just looked through the four rolls I got, and did a double-take at... a double-tails half (magic coin... kind of obvious on the edge). Pretty cool, definitely keeping it.
 
Grab every roll you can. I work for a bank however, it's not in a branch around the money :wink:

I have a good relationship with the tellers at a couple of my branches and I've been told that they mark to roles on occasion when they are sold to the vault manager. I've had very good luck before with marked roles
 
Just because the rolls are marked doesn't mean they are skunks. I bought several rolls at a bank a while back that all had a green stripe marked on the sides. As soon as the teller set them on the counter I thought "Oh great...", but I was pleased when I got a handful of silver from them. You never know!
 
dumps or not, buy them ALL! theres a hunter in my area, that ALWAYS misses 40%ers...in my boxes i will find less 40%ers than i find in the other crh'ers rolles, so its almost like he buys halves, pics out 90%ers, and plants 40%ers in there just for the hell of it :laughing9:
keep it up and hh!
 
Actually dont buy them all. Just let me know where to go and pick them up.
 
A while back on a road trip, I stopped by a bank and asked for halves. The teller informed me she had several rolls in the vault. She brings out an old cardboard box which use to contain index cards with customer bank info. This was long before technology kept track of data.

I viewed the rolls, and almost said no. Glad I did not. The rolls were marked 1975-D, 1976-D, etc. About $300 in rolls, best I can recall. Nonetheless, most rolls contained what was marked, but several had 2-3 40%ers--and they were all stacked at the end of the rolls together--it appeared to be on purpose. I think I netted 15 40% on that particular excursion. Moral of the story--always get them all.

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
the manager at my bank already informed me that she and her staff cherry pick all the silvers out along with silver certificates and star note bills too....my luck she hits the rest of the local banks too >:(
 
I'm in Florida to, on the Eastern side... which one of you two keep sending boxes from Brinks my way with the bottom unwrapped and marked with a black sharpie or a filled in "0"???

HH!
 
I do not pay attention to the paper rolls being marked, they could have been re--rolled in that rapper. I keep old coin wrappers and re-use them myself. Yes the competition is fierce, I have went from bank to bank on certain days and have been told, they just sold all their halves. I must have been on someones heels, one day I will be standing in the same line with a CRHer, that would be interesting, lol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom