SPWalker
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Aug 6, 2003
- Messages
- 85
- Reaction score
- 4
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Henderson, Texas
- Detector(s) used
- CZ-7A FISHER
I have found a cannonball and can not ID the type or date it was made.
I dug a cannonball here in South Texas last month. It looks more like a pineapple than cannonball.
I am sure it is an early form of a fragment bomb as it has serration?s all along the outside. It is about 5 inches wide, 8 lbs., has a brass cap with a copper center. I was talking to a collector who is in the business and he also has not seen anything like it. The 2? wide cap has been screwed on as it has scaring from a tool on its out side edge.
We believe it is from the French (Maxamillion) 1850-1860?s.
I also believe piece is still armed. I have it re burred on my own property, as I do not want to take any chances. I also need to know how to disarm a cannonball. I understand that there are a few who disarm as a hobby.
I am sure the local law enforcement or the government would do it their way. But I am not up for all that.
Here is the question Is there a sight or a cannonball expert out there that I could get in touch with to get an ID on it.
Have fun digging.
SW
I dug a cannonball here in South Texas last month. It looks more like a pineapple than cannonball.
I am sure it is an early form of a fragment bomb as it has serration?s all along the outside. It is about 5 inches wide, 8 lbs., has a brass cap with a copper center. I was talking to a collector who is in the business and he also has not seen anything like it. The 2? wide cap has been screwed on as it has scaring from a tool on its out side edge.
We believe it is from the French (Maxamillion) 1850-1860?s.
I also believe piece is still armed. I have it re burred on my own property, as I do not want to take any chances. I also need to know how to disarm a cannonball. I understand that there are a few who disarm as a hobby.
I am sure the local law enforcement or the government would do it their way. But I am not up for all that.
Here is the question Is there a sight or a cannonball expert out there that I could get in touch with to get an ID on it.
Have fun digging.
SW
Attachments
-
image.webp39.8 KB · Views: 62 -
image.webp549.9 KB · Views: 37 -
image.webp541.6 KB · Views: 44 -
image.webp387.4 KB · Views: 50 -
image.webp112.5 KB · Views: 41 -
image.webp1 MB · Views: 44 -
image.webp591.5 KB · Views: 38 -
image.webp305.6 KB · Views: 39 -
image.webp349.4 KB · Views: 39 -
image.webp220 KB · Views: 50 -
image.webp279 KB · Views: 57 -
image.webp5.7 KB · Views: 49 -
image.webp508.1 KB · Views: 56 -
image.webp536.5 KB · Views: 47 -
image.webp16 KB · Views: 45 -
image.webp232.1 KB · Views: 48
Upvote
0







