What's new

✅ SOLVED I have no idea what this is

Jinxtunes

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 17, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This belonged to one of my ancestors and was somehow passed down to me. Made of wood and belonged to:
Isaac Walton
B 1837 Canada
D 1923 Missouri
 

Attachments

  • 20191015_034450319_iOS.webp
    20191015_034450319_iOS.webp
    286.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20191015_034428523_iOS.webp
    20191015_034428523_iOS.webp
    343.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20191015_034438554_iOS.webp
    20191015_034438554_iOS.webp
    296.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20191015_034421858_iOS.webp
    20191015_034421858_iOS.webp
    407.3 KB · Views: 88
maybe a hand made letter opener ?
 
Upvote 0
My guess is a Fid Pin, Nautical Rope Rigger or Splicing Tool:occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
No idea, but looks like it has Pennsylvania dutch designs -
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking a button buttoner-unbuttoner, perhaps for ladies' shoes/boots...??
Is it broke at the sharpened end...????
 
Upvote 0
Weaving loom tool ?
 
Upvote 0
It is a beautiful piece .
It's almost like a love token - to a book binder
 
Upvote 0
Its a "knitting sheath".
 
Upvote 0
Here is a similar style...

18th_c___chip_carved_treen_knitting_sheath_dated_1789__inscribed__mw__with_heart_1_lgw.webp
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum,

It's shaped like a shrimp deveiner.

Interesting find :)
Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Its a "knitting sheath".


I agree, looked it up after I saw your post. I never saw them before but there are some decorated ones out there and they have the cut in them the same way too.

Good call....

Here's another one too... Link...

dealer_opusantiques_highres_1505150777105-4066148616.webp
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Impressive ID. I've never seen nor heard of these.

Knitting sheaths are rarely seen nowadays and make a fascinating field for collectors.The purpose of the sheath was to take the weight of the work and prevent the stitches from slipping off the bottom of a double-ended needle. They were tucked into the waist band or held under the arm, and were used throughout Europe and the British Isles during the 18th. and 19th. Centuries. Some were refined and exotic being made from a variety of materials including amber, porcelain, ivory, silver and brass etc. The majority were made from a range of available woods of which the higher quality were from boxwood or mahogany.

Their charm lies less in the craftsmanship than in the story they tell. Many were crudely carved gifts or love tokens, bearing the name of the recipient sometimes with a date and a heart or other symbol. The design often enables their origin to be traced to a closely defined region.
 
Upvote 0
I never heard of a fid pin so I Googled it and I guess I can learn something new every day. It looks close but not a fid pin,
 
Upvote 0
I never heard of a fid pin so I Googled it and I guess I can learn something new every day. It looks close but not a fid pin,

I told you what it was... :/
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom