What's new

i have no idea

marinedad

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
1,648
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
pisgah forest, n.c.
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody know what this thing is? it was 7" deep, all parts bronze? non magnetic, hinges to flip open. what language?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0437.webp
    DSCN0437.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCN0438.webp
    DSCN0438.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN0439.webp
    DSCN0439.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN0437.webp
    DSCN0437.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN0438.webp
    DSCN0438.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN0439.webp
    DSCN0439.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 361

Attachments

  • fastener.webp
    fastener.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 351
  • fastener.webp
    fastener.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
THANK YOU BIGCYPRESS!!!! I've been trying for years to find out what this thing was. I found mine in an 1880's logging camp and have never been able to find out anything about it. The guesse were evrything from a ladies purse closure to a hat band holder to a wooden box clasp. I even tried here quite a few years ago before things were quite so well organized. Thanks again!
 

Attachments

  • bowling1.webp
    bowling1.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0
from top center going clockwise reads= +A cecar+arad+ I. yna.L. bir+
what language?
 
Upvote 0
marinedad said:
from top center going clockwise reads= +A cecar+arad+ I. yna.L. bir+
what language?
Thanks :icon_thumright: Ill try searching but it would also be helpful to have an in focus pic of the lettering in question.
 
Upvote 0
The images are religious in nature, probably Catholic. The ball with a cross atop it is seen in religious art thoughout the ages. The short staff is possibly an aspregillum, used to sprinkle holy water. The clergy member is wearing a hat often worn by Catholic clergy, in particular Cardinals. This clasp may have been used to clasp vestments, possibly a cape. That's all I have so far.
 
Upvote 0
After a little more research, the staff pictured is not an aspergillum, but a sceptre, denoting a high rank within the church. The orb and cross denote the power of Christ across the world. I would check Latin resources for the verbiage. It's probable that you'll find it's a Latin verse as it's the base language for the Catholic church.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
2
Views
204
Replies
11
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
683

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom