I know this is a dumpster diving forum but............

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is anyone here also a scrapper? or curb shopper?

Besides all the other things I do I am also a scrapper. I look for brass, copper, pewter and old electronics. (computers, cellphones and TVs)

I did it a lot by hitting yardsales when I lived in SoCA. I had a pretty good business going. But paid a little bit for everything. Now that I have retired and moved to very NoCA I am starting it up again.

Saw a microwave on the curb on my way home from the post office yesterday. I actually turned around and went back to get it. Never did that before. I scrapped it out today for a let down. The 5lb transformer had a double aluminum wire coils. One reason I started again is because there is a business on the edge of town that has two big dumpsters outside and they encourage people to drop off steel. The closest real scrapyard to buy metals is 1.5 to 2 hour drive each way. So I need to be selective in what I scrap.

I looked on the main page and couldn't find a forum just for scrappers. Does anyone know of one?

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I'm also a scrapper and "curb shopper."

There is a sub-forum here for scrapping, but it is not very active: Scrap Metals

For microwaves I cut off the cord and sell the rest intact as light iron. The glass platters inside are great for putting house plants on.

If the nearest scrap yards are that far away from you, get yourself a truck and start a small business!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the nearest scrap yards are that far away from you, get yourself a truck and start a small business!
I was dropping off some metal in those dumpsters I mentioned above and there was a guy there helping an old man empty his truck. (the old guy was probably my age) I started talking to the guy helping the guy unload and found out he owns the place. I asked for permission to dump old computer shells and anything else Ferris. I told him my plans about computers and TVs and he said follow him. So I got in my car and drove about half a mile to another (hidden) scrapyard and he stopped right next to a pile of TVs and monitors. He said take what I want. So my car already was half full I was able to fill the rest with three TVs, one CRT monitor and two LCD monitors. He throws them there because he does not want to deal with them.

In our county (population under 28,000) you can bring TVs and monitors to the transfer station for free. From now on I will get his sets, process them and take to the transfer station. win/win.

The reason I asked about computer shells is there is a repair company in town that I just bought a new computer from. He told me he has a storage rental half full of old cell phones, computers and hard drives. There is a good chance I am going to get them. I am going to try for free but pay as much as $1 each for computers and 50¢ each on the others. That is what I paid up until I moved up her four years ago.

I really do not want to start a full scrap business. I do not like that long drive to the scrap yard. It is a windy road down the pacific coast through the redwoods. Very scenic, but you've seen one thousand year old tree you've seen them all. ;p)

I am going to stick with copper, brass, aluminum, cells and computer parts.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mess with the pink thing in the microwave ,Very carcinogenic . I was a scrapper for many many years while in the city . now I live way out in the country it's hard to find much but still get what I can .

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good cash waiting on the side of the road, in the dumpster or whatever. My wife hates it but I love breaking stuff down and piling up the copper, silver and gold. Heck I pulled 500.00 in palladium out of two free Hammond organs last week.

Junk can be damn valuable if your not afraid of a bit of work.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mess with the pink thing in the microwave ,Very carcinogenic.
Yes, I do not touch the magnetron for that very reason. I just ignore the copper and aluminum just in case I break the tube by accident. I go after the transformers and motors instead. Bad luck last two microwaves the transformers were Al over AL and one fan motor had AL windings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread