Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
yep an awesome hobby......when i was in colorado,i found my first pocket spill.....1899 barber qtr,1926 buffalo nickel,1920 merc
2 indians 1882,1905 all in 1 hole......so goodluck & keep diggin

Randall

DetectorOCD

Sep 22, 2010
Dallastown, PA
Detector(s) used
TESORO!
WOW you're off to a great start! I just got my detector and went out for two short hunts and already I know this IS the hobby for me! You're totally right about that feeling you get when you flip the plug over. I can't wait until it warms up next year!! :headbang:

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Congratulations August Hog for being one of the few on this and other forums that I read that have gotten it right!

Metal detecting is and always should be treated as a hobby. If you start treating it otherwise then you've lost the most important benefit from it. Enjoyment! Pure and simple.

And you're right about that certain feeling you get when you're just about to flip over the plug. Makes me feel like a kid again, every time.

I only do parks myself, and have had a great year. Over $550 in clad, 15 Gold rings, 15 Silver rings, and lots of fresh air.

Can't beat this hobby for the thrills and relaxation after a great day of swinging in the sun.

Gosh, I hope that this winter is a short one,

Ralph (from Toronto), :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
Roland58 said:
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing other folks stuff almost as much as my own!! One question, though, how do the marbles show up on your machine.....are they in the foil range? ;D
They are glass eggs from knee-high nests. Easy to pick unless mama's home :D

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and the same reason I love this hobby and better yet reading the stories and comments. WTG!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobby ??? ...I thought it was a competition to see who is " the Best there ever was " ...I better re think this :read2: Great finds and fun and you are all correct .. Love this Hobby :thumbsup:

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garretthunter said:
Great finds and the same reason I love this hobby and better yet reading the stories and comments. WTG!
I agree with ya on the stories and comments! Makes me happy when people reach their goals and in some cases "life changing finds" for the better. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I'm just fortunate to be able to do this everyday (or when the wife allows, lol). I'm an overseas contractor and will soon be in either Kuwait and/or Afghanistan. Kuwait has beach's! Cant wait to hit a beach! :headbang:

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
great post. you did very well digging over 500 dollars in six months. you will have great days and not so great days finding things but the friends you make and the enjoyment of being outside is great. it is a great hobby . good luck in the future.

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Thanks for the post , And YES this hobby (ROCKS) :headbang: This hobby rocks for so many things , The things we to find , And the people we meet doing this great hobby. :icon_thumleft: See you out there 8)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir, it is not a hobby.
It is a life of much anguish, and a little joy.
But the joy outweighs the anguish.
Marriage is a hobby.
This is not a hobby.
Carl

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Marriage is a hobby? :icon_scratch: Never looked at it that way. Always thought a hobby was something you did in your spare time for fun and relaxation and a marrige as a commitment. Been with the wife 30 yrs the 29th of this month, married for 24 1/2 of em.
"It is a life of much anguish, and a little joy.
But the joy outweighs the anguish."
As far as that comment, you must be a Denver Broncos season ticket holder, :laughing9: It's all good, I'm a Broncos fan too. But boy, they suck this year..................

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Constructive criticism respectfully offered: First off, that shovel is gonna get you hassled by nosey do gooders even if you weild it with the skill of a surgeon. I use one like that in the hills, but not a park. Get a leisch digger and a probe. Learning to use a probe has saved me so much time digging and allows me to dig literally twice as many targets in a day of hunting. Secondly, Love your positive post. The rings are where its at. Good luck!

OP
OP
augusthog

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
UTcoinshootR said:
Constructive criticism respectfully offered: First off, that shovel is gonna get you hassled by nosey do gooders even if you weild it with the skill of a surgeon. I use one like that in the hills, but not a park. Get a leisch digger and a probe. Learning to use a probe has saved me so much time digging and allows me to dig literally twice as many targets in a day of hunting. Secondly, Love your positive post. The rings are where its at. Good luck!
I already asked Santa for these items! Thanks :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully t only gets better with time. elcome to TNET . Loks like you have better whether out there than we do here in Ohio........It's going to be a long one i looks like >:(

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey AugustHog,
Yup, it is a hobby. One gets outside, meets people, is an emissary for all detectorist(make proper plugs, fill all holes, deal with others honestly and openly), smile at the little kids, return important things when you can find the owner and give your family a nice hug when you get back and share with them your life and share theirs with them.

I've been on and off of it for many years. Back in the 70's I borrowed a fellas White 6000D that he was not using and wow what a difference to have a real detector. Found silver coins, tons of pennies, learned to find nickles and gold rings, found a gold tooth (oh how nice a pinpointer would have been for that target!!!), returned a little girls lost necklace (that was a memorable moment as it was just so good to see that little girl smile when the necklace was found) and then I've made friends on the MD sites and it gives me a place to share some of my stuff.

What brand is the shovel?

Attached is a picture of some of my prospecting finds on top of a 43 half dollar I was given.

Those beaches could be interesting, are you familiar with how to use your machine on wet or dry salty sand? Might want to ask about that before you go.

Have fun, be safe, stay happy! Have a joyus Christmas with family & friends 63bkpkr

Attachments

• 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 901
  • 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 900

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UTcoinshootR said:
<snip> Learning to use a probe has saved me so much time digging and allows me to dig literally twice as many targets in a day of hunting. <snip>Good luck!

How about making a post on how to use a probe? There is, at least, one person that could use that info.... ;D. Put it in the General discussion forum and put a note here to let us know when it is available......if you should decide to do so. Thanks.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
You are off to a GREAT start, sounds like you have the bug, sorry no cure.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
augusthog said:
Marriage is a hobby? :icon_scratch: Never looked at it that way. Always thought a hobby was something you did in your spare time for fun and relaxation and a marrige as a commitment. Been with the wife 30 yrs the 29th of this month, married for 24 1/2 of em.
"It is a life of much anguish, and a little joy.
But the joy outweighs the anguish."
As far as that comment, you must be a Denver Broncos season ticket holder, :laughing9: It's all good, I'm a Broncos fan too. But boy, they suck this year..................

Kidding about the marriage thingy.
From D.C. and Maryland originally, I'm a Redskin fan.
They suck much less then the Broncos, but not by much.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions