What's new

I may find a shield nickel...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
9,870
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wayne County, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...before I find a silver one lol. Today gave me another non-war nickel. In the last 2 hunts, I have gotten a V, a Jefferson, and now a buff. Still looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430343461.016110.webp
 
Upvote 18
...before I find a silver one lol. Today gave me another non-war nickel. In the last 2 hunts, I have gotten a V, a Jefferson, and now a buff. Still looking.]

When I was instructing, back a while ago, I neglected to tell you one important piece of information.
You can ONLY find these if you happen to be looking WHERE one happens to be. ;)

WTG!
 
that would be your luck! I bet you end up finding a shield nickel, I sure hope so
 
I am rooting for you OD! It should not be too much longer before that elusive silver nickel shows up. Keep the faith brother. GL&HH.
 
Have faith!! I watched the kid pull one war nickel after another before I finally found one. I think it was probably a dozen before I finally got one. lol.
 
Nice digs. hope you find what you seek, Good Luck.
 
Sheild Nickels read down in the 22 shell with no bullet range if I recall rightly , good luck !
 
I am sure with your vast amount of experience OD that you know a war nickel hits at a much higher VID number then a regular nickel. On my Deus a buffalo or Jefferson hits a 53 and a war nickel in the 70-74 range. So a considerable difference. Also in the same range as the war nickel are the old square pull tabs. So no matter what type of nickel you're after the dreaded pull tabs show up too.
 
Your almost there OD! Did you do the silver nickel dance? No? Do the silver nickel dance and you'll find one.

You'll find some it's just a matter of time. If I can find gold you can pull up a truck load of silver nickels! But you have to dance!
 
I am sure with your vast amount of experience OD that you know a war nickel hits at a much higher VID number then a regular nickel. On my Deus a buffalo or Jefferson hits a 53 and a war nickel in the 70-74 range. So a considerable difference. Also in the same range as the war nickel are the old square pull tabs. So no matter what type of nickel you're after the dreaded pull tabs show up too.

I do agree with just about everything you say. It stands to reason that silver being present the VDI just about HAS to be somewhat higher than a nickel. But, after all the ones I've found over the years I have noticed a tendency for these particular coins to do something that I've not noticed as much in other mixed metal coins. For some reason they seem to "rust". I don't mean like all nickels corrode. They sort of take on some of the iron that is leached into the ground and form what looks like to me, iron rust spots.

I used to notice this with my Groundhog but back then it was just a nulling effect. Like iron nails being discriminated. Although, different angles might give a blip of a good tone. I notice the effect even more these days, now that we have the VDI and the Iron Audio features. I have had war nickels give me a definite iron audio grunt AND a 52 VDI back and forth.

So, yeah, a higher VDI is pretty certain, but it seems to depend a lot on the iron content that has surrounded it over the years.

Don't know if that helps OD or anyone else but listen close to those targets that seem to hit as iron.
Go back and forth in different directions and see if it changes.
 
I'm looking in my crystal ball Dave and it's good news buddy! :thumbsup:

Oh hold on, that's just my foot under the table! :laughing7:

Dave
 
Hey, OD? I was just thinking. (bad habit). With all this help you're getting just cuz you
haven't found a war nick, maybe I should start a thread with "I've never found a gold coin...." ;)
 
eep swinging low and slow and soon one shall pop out fer ya then on to a gold coin after 700.5 pulltabs ..
 
I've found about a dozen war nickels in the last year with the AT Pro, VDI (when I even looked) was often in the 58-62 range. Not always, a few just rang up around the 53.
 
I've found about a dozen war nickels in the last year with the AT Pro, VDI (when I even looked) was often in the 58-62 range. Not always, a few just rang up around the 53.

Me too. Thing is, I've also found quite a few who gave nothing but an iron audio grunt in one direction. If I'd just listened and moved, I wouldn't have found them. Unless I was in an iron digging mood. :) Usually, 58-62 sometimes 52 just as you but, sometimes.... ;)
 
Nice digs O.D.I have yet to find a shield nickle either.Keep at it,one is bound to turn up sooner or later,that is what I keep telling myself anyway:laughing7:HH Olddude.I like the todays finds banner!pretty neat
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom