What's new

I need a little history on this coin

stetson

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Auburn,California
I was given this coin yesterday from a friend that does a lot
of travel.
It was in a small envelope with a date on it (582-602AD).
Can someone provide some details.
Thanks
Stet
 

Attachments

  • 100_7114_0001.webp
    100_7114_0001.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_7115_0001.webp
    100_7115_0001.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 311
Probably a Byzantine copper follis from the reign of Maurice Tiberius (the year range you gave).
Bottom pic is upside down. If that's a Roman numeral III next to the "M", that would be the year of the king's reign when the coin was issued. III would indicate the 3rd year; or 584/5 AD.
 
Upvote 0
BTW, the "M" is the Roman letter that stood for the value of the coin; 40 'nummi'. (If it were a "K", then 20 nummi; or an "I" for ten nummi.) The mint location is designated by the letters in the exergue--below the "M"--which I can't make out.
EDIT: I believe the mint mark is THEUP; i. e. Antioch.
THEUP was the abbreviation for THEOUPOLIS (Antioch)
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
BTW, the "M" is the Roman letter that stood for the value of the coin; 40 'nummi'. (If it were a "K", then 20 nummi; or an "I" for ten nummi.) The mint location is designated by the letters in the exergue--below the "M"--which I can't make out.
EDIT: I believe the mint mark is THEUP; i. e. Antioch.
THEUP was the abbreviation for THEOUPOLIS (Antioch)

Thank you, you are correct, the mint mark is THEUP.
Stet
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom