I need a recommendation

Yeyo Morete

Greenie
Nov 23, 2023
Hello good! Could anyone recommend a cheap metal detector for beginners? Thank you!

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello good! Could anyone recommend a cheap metal detector for beginners? Thank you!

View attachment 2117150
The Minelab Xterra Pro looks like a really good machine for the money. I've used a (now discontinued) Xterra 705 for years and found a lot of good stuff including a gold ring about 3 weeks ago.
The new version, I believe uses the same new coils as the more expensive Equinox line, which means you can select your frequency on the fly without buying a whole new coil like I had to on the 705.
I just purchased an Equinox 900 yesterday to upgrade.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Yeyo Morete

Yeyo Morete

Greenie
Nov 23, 2023
I’d recommend buying a good used unit. The word cheap bothers me. It can mean poor quality as well. Don’t buy something that will disappoint you and waste your $$. How much are you budgeting?

As a budget I can afford around €100 to €150, I don't want to spend much more when I haven't even started metal detection yet. Anyway, I already saw one for around €70 which, according to internet reviews, is perfect to start with.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a budget I can afford around €100 to €150, I don't want to spend much more when I haven't even started metal detection yet. Anyway, I already saw one for around €70 which, according to internet reviews, is perfect to start with.
Well good luck with that. Just keep in mind this in one of those hobbies where you get what you pay for, but going too cheap means you may end up working more than having fun.

Pro tip: Invest in a quality pinpointer no matter what detector you buy. It will be item that makes all the difference when it comes to finding what's in the hole, and getting on to the next target. (I recommend the Garrett Propointer AT)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll keep it in mind! I have a few models to see, I'll add that one to my list too.
Just stay away from China made-take the online reviews with a grain of salt as well.
You've come to right place to get first hand information from folks that detect, not blog reviews.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap tools can be a two-edged sword. Sure, you get them for less money, however, you also may get something that won't do the job properly, or, will fail prematurely, even with mild use. I can't count the number of people who bought a Bounty Hunter from Walmart only to find it just made a bunch of noise and wouldn't work properly in the type of detecting that was attempted. Quality tools can be resold easily if you no longer want them. Sure, you will take a bit of hit just like you would anything else you buy and sell used, but, a name brand and popular model will hold it's value fairly well if you keep it in good condition. Personally, I don't recommend low end detectors. IMO, they just frustrate most new detectorists with their limited features. If you have a local detecting club, attend a meeting and ask if anyone is willing to help you try out a high end detector to see if it's a hobby you will want to pursue. There may be a local detector dealer that has rentals too. That can be a good way to test several before you buy.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How cheap? What is your budget and what/were are you going to detect?
+1 As important as budget, IMO.

I’d recommend buying a good used unit. The word cheap bothers me. It can mean poor quality as well. Don’t buy something that will disappoint you and waste your $$. How much are you budgeting?
Cheap tools can be a two-edged sword. Sure, you get them for less money, however, you also may get something that won't do the job properly, or, will fail prematurely, even with mild use. I can't count the number of people who bought a Bounty Hunter from Walmart only to find it just made a bunch of noise and wouldn't work properly in the type of detecting that was attempted. Quality tools can be resold easily if you no longer want them. Sure, you will take a bit of hit just like you would anything else you buy and sell used, but, a name brand and popular model will hold it's value fairly well if you keep it in good condition. Personally, I don't recommend low end detectors. IMO, they just frustrate most new detectorists with their limited features. If you have a local detecting club, attend a meeting and ask if anyone is willing to help you try out a high end detector to see if it's a hobby you will want to pursue. There may be a local detector dealer that has rentals too. That can be a good way to test several before you buy.
Excellent.

When I was a kid and interested in learning guitar, my folks took me to a new & used guitar dealer who was also a retired music teacher.

I'll never forget the advice he gave us; it has applied to so much else in life.

He said if you give a kid a "cheap" (low-cost, poor quality) instrument that's difficult to play and that s/he doesn't like the sound of, s/he is less likely to fall in love with that instrument, less likely to practice, and it will collect dust in the corner. No-one will want it 2nd hand.

OTOH, get a reasonable quality instrument that's easy (enough) to play and sounds decent, and that kid is more likely to develop a relationship with his/her instrument for life.

I didn't get a Martin that day, but I didn't get a cheapie Kay either. I got something I didn't hate the sound of, that didn't make my fingers bleed the first time I picked it up... and I loved it, and learned to play it.

Result: I still love guitar, and after many years, I got my Martin, and have loved playing it ever since.
(and the Missus plays banjo. 😉)

Yeyo,
One site that helped me make my decision is
There were other sites & factors as well

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest nokta's Simplex or Minalab's xterra pro. Both are fine machines and may serve a novice as well as an experienced hunter well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions