I need your suggestions: upcoming travel.

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will not have pics until July 19-24.

Do terrace deposits of gold appear metallic?

I found something described in a placer deposit diagram. Though, it is literally a pile of mustard yellow rock. I do not know if it is metallic...I am bringing a Falcon MD20 to test it.

I have heard limonite is similar. It looks more likequartz and is also powder covered in areas and quite hard.... breakable only in flakes without tools.

Should I look for the veins next to it?

I could have it assayed. Though, I do not want to mess too much with ore.

The only picture I found similar has gold veins next to a similar buried outcropping.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jza,
I've been told that the dull cubic shape to the left of the center of this little pile of pickers is limonite and is found around gold deposits. Iron pyrite is also found around gold deposits, it is the cubic structure of these items and the fact that they shatter when hit by hammer/another rock, gold does not shatter it spreads.

185_8515.JPG So if the little cube is limonite then that is one color of it especially as compared to the gold pickers it is sitting in (that stuff is on top of a silver half dollar). Best of luck with your adventure..........63bkpkr

Note: the cube was panned/sifted/sluiced out from behind a large boulder located in the winter flood plain of an 1849 gold rush river. So these are some of the 'fines' on the outer edges of a flooding, fast flowing river.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't we already...:icon_scratch:...oh, nevermind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread