Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A common term used in the early 1900's was "Hooligan"
It was defined as a young man who does noisy or violent things as part of a group or gang.
During the early 1900's, along the Westchester County shoreline, there was a camp that was nicknamed HOOLIGAN CAMP. The camp consisted of wooden platforms that sat on pilings that could accommodate a large canvas tent that easily allowed space for a family. At the beginning of the summer the campsites would be assigned by permit. Some now defunct newspapers, reported how the permit system was rigged because it seemed that only civil servants and their families were being awarded these permits year after year. The families would move in at the beginning of the summer and were joined on the weekends by their Fireman or Policeman husbands/father. The noise that would accompany the weekend drinking parties is why the residents along the Westchester shore called it The Hooligan Campgrounds. Because many of the residents of the camps were Policemen, the complaints about excessive noise, (especially after dark), would fall on deaf ears.
I was only at this site once before and stumbled upon it by accident. The perimeter is overgrown with brush and hedges and I had to practically chop my way in the last time I was there. The only physical remains of the camp today is the wooden pilings that the platforms once sat on. The hedges are still there but I found a new way in. I will hunt this site next week during the milder weather that has been predicted.
I did manage to swing the coil for a few hours before I went looking for the Campsite. I recovered 43 clad coins, an old NYC Transit tokens and a few sinkers from along the shoreline.

IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG IMG_5717.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 14
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the productive hunt! :occasion14: I bet there is a "ton" of keepers around that camping area. :icon_thumleft:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt for today, atw........and best of luck on the campsite!! There's got to be some keepers in there.......just waiting for you........:icon_thumleft:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post AGW...Looks like a really cool place to hunt and hasn't been detected to death..I'm sure there's a LOT of sneaky old silver hiding there, you just gotta get your coil over them. I have been researching a campground/resort about ten miles from me that existed late 1800's thru early 1900's..there are some houses, a motorcycle shop, a highway and a swamp in the area where it was...funny thing is..that I worked at that motorcycle shop a few years back. I hope to complete the research in time for spring thaw...all permissions in place. Thanks Kevin, great stuff...ddf

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds and looks like you were on an adventure today ATW. Good Luck on your next hunt at the Hooligan camp. There has just got to be some silvers and other keepers awaiting your coil.

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good research. Thank you for the description of what may be "out of sight - out of mind". Go dig some more history!

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a productive day, ATW. I'm sure your research will pay off and looking forward to seeing what you dig up from the site in the future. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread