I want to complement my CTX-3030. Any Recommendations?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a lot of ways i like to compare the tools of metal detecting to the tools of golf. No one tool does it all. That said, I will be purchasing a CTX-3030 in the very near future and would like to complement it with another detector. I currently have the E-Trac and will sell it to help pay for the new one.

So...i basically have between 700 and 1200 dollars to use on a second or even a third detector. I don't yet know the shortfalls of the CTX so i hope someone can chime in on what may suit my needs. Most of the time i will be coin shooting in and around NC with a few trips to the beach from time to time. I also like relic hunting and expect to be hitting some fields pretty soon.

Any Recommendations?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For relics I would get the F-19 or G2, G2+ or gold bug pro. They are all almost identical machines that run at 19kHz. They are very good at picking targets out of iron infested "relicky" type sites. They are good at coinshooting too but only have a 2 tone audio. The V-break (low to high tone break) is adjustable. Most set it at 30-40 so small iron is a low tone and everything else up above that is a vco high tone. Good luck with whatever you choose but the CTX would be my choice for beach, deep coin shooting.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Fletch...would the Gold bug be something i could take into the deep woods with lots of underbrush and not have to worry about balance and weight? i am looking at several abandoned houses in my area.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Fletch...would the Gold bug be something i could take into the deep woods with lots of underbrush and not have to worry about balance and weight? i am looking at several abandoned houses in my area.

At 2lb 8oz with the 5 inch coil on you will think you are holding a feather compared to the CTX. That is the perfect setup for the type sites you mentioned. It breaks down and packs well into a backpack. The 5x10 and 11" biaxial coil are both good coils offered by First Texas. There are many different coils also available from Nel like the sharpshooter. Here is one of several good reviews of the GBP. I think you would be hard pressed to find a bad review!

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/field-tests/GB-Pro-FieldTest-MarkGilespie.htm

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CTX 3030 as well as the E trac but for relic hunting you cannot beat the Fisher F75 LTD. I feel that is really fills the very small void left by the Minelabs.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much to both of you! This gives me a direction to go in. From what i gather, i need to be looking at good relic machines. The review i read on the gold bug pro was very enlightening. Have either of you used or seen in action the Garrett AT Gold? It looks to be in the same price range as the Fisher machines mentioned above. The only reason i would consider the AT Gold is its water proof features. Nothing more frustrating than getting out in the field only to be hampered by rain.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 other good options are the Makro Racer or Nokta FORS CoRe (coin & relic) Both are almost identical electronics made by sister companies. They are very well built machines with transferable warranty.

I happen to know where a 4 month old Racer is for sale at a very good price.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
[h=2]"I want to complement my CTX-3030. Any Recommendations?"[/h]
Try something like, "Oh, you look so slim and lovely today, shall we find some gold?"

Or- "My, have your lost weight? You carbon shaft looks so graceful."

You might even try, "I love your soft tones and warm highlights."

Don't forget to warm the battery pack... nothing spoils a complement like getting a cold battery shoved up your backside.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO those are great complements. But what would my wife say if she caught me saying those things? Would she, could she understand?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First piece of advice - Don't take advice from folks that have never swung a CTX 3030.

Second - Look into different coils for the machines you have, and bear down on leaning the CTX 3030.

Third - Go out and get a Tesoro Compadre (8"), and use it when your arm is just tired from swinging your Minelab's all week.

With the CTX and the E-Trac, you already have what you need for relic - or any other hunting you want to do. The next step for you will be "Nuggetshooting" with Minelab pulse induction machines!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a detector to help find coins and relics the CTX might miss, I would say to look at a DEUS.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question that can be answered any number of ways. I have had many machines with the CTX as my main one. The CTX can do most of what you require, but both the Deus and any of the Tesoro machines have enough differences in both cosmetics and functionality as to be a good change/compliment to the CTX. The Deus seems to pick out more for me on the lower conductors, but that can simply be due to the programming or "my programming" in my head.

One thing to ask yourself if you want to spend the time to learn a second complex machine along with the CTX? I was fairly new with the CTX and I purchased a Deus and it was a task to alternate learning each one at the same time. Sometimes simpler is better in a case such as this, and it also helps to go simpler and save and then learn the CTX and sell the simpler machines for more of a percentage of return later when you are ready to "upgrade" (buy a more complex detector to compliment).

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes simpler is better in a case such as this, and it also helps to go simpler and save

Thanks Pointman, I did a little snooping around and a Tesoro may fit me well. The ctx looks to be pretty heavy and bulky and its not something i would want to be crawling around with in the woods. I think i will use the CTX in more open areas like the beach parks and yards. The Tesoro will take care of everything else.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
Limiting the $ amount to $700 this is what I have and love:
1) Garrett AT Pro (used $450-500) with the NEL Tornado coil ($150). I hit all my coins buried at 8 inches in my mineralized soil. My Fisher F75 could only do it in boost mode with the highest sensitivity.
2) Nokta Fors Core ($599 new).

Both are great machines are simply to use. I just sold the Nokta to contribute towards the cost of the CTX but before summer, I may pickup a used one.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEKNETIC'S G-2+

I found the Target with the G-2+ and missed it with the CTX until i set it in TTF.
Watch the numbers on the CTX. The tone is definitely good but the number's not so much!
This was a learning experience for me running the CTX.

Last edited:

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I want to complement my ctx3030... I sit it on the dining room table and tell it " you are one handsome metal detector"

When it stops blushing I put it back in the case and have another pint.....

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]"I want to complement my CTX-3030. Any Recommendations?"[/h]
Try something like, "Oh, you look so slim and lovely today, shall we find some gold?"

Or- "My, have your lost weight? You carbon shaft looks so graceful."

You might even try, "I love your soft tones and warm highlights."

Don't forget to warm the battery pack... nothing spoils a complement like getting a cold battery shoved up your backside.

I saw this awhile ago and you beat me to it by a mile! Good to see others have a warped sense of humor too....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread