What's new

Anyone have this PI or knows someone who has one or has used?

Sand Swinger

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2025
Messages
712
Reaction score
1,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field PI
Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab X-Terra Elite
Previously owned: Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro & XS-2 Pro,
Garrett ATPro & ACE 350,
Fisher 1220X, White's Coinmaster IV, Heathkit.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Greetings fellow beach hunters, I’ve never been a PI guy. Every detector I’ve owned since the late 60’s has been a VLF, except my first detector was a BFO. I’ve looked at PI’s over the years, mainly out of curiosity, but that was years ago. I commented on a post a week or so ago that now at 68, I wouldn’t have the time or patience to learn a PI these days. It took me quite a bit of time to learn the audio on my Minelab Sovereigns, with all the different tones they throw into my ears.

But today, for some reason, I stumbled upon a mention of the Garrett ATX PI. I never heard of that one, so I headed to YouTube. Based on video’s, I learned that the ATX PI is big, bulky, and heavy. OK, it’s apparently not for everyone, lol. But damn, for some reason, it just seemed to resonate with me. I really like the design, features, and how the controls are laid out. For a PI, this one seems to offer a lot more control and functionality than the PI’s I was familiar with years ago, while still looking fairly simple to learn and operate. There’s no screens, just basic operating controls and audio only, just what I’ve been used to since the late 60’s, lol. That said, my new X-Terra Elite will have me breaking new ground with all its bells & whistles compared to my Sovereign.

Anyway, the Garrett ATX PI seems to offer a lot more functionality than the PI’s I was previously familiar with, and if I was going to take the plunge into the PI world, the ATX looks like a PI that I could wrap my head around. But although I’ve seen the detector on a couple of dealer’s websites, I didn’t see it listed on Garrett’s website, so I’m assuming it must have been discontinued?

I did see that they have an Axiom PI, that has a design similar to the Minelab X-Terra’s, NOX’, Manticore, and the Nokta’s, with a small control box & screen sitting atop the grip. But according to Garret, the Axiom is “rain resistant”, i.e., NOT waterproof, while the ATX PI is waterproof to 10 feet, while looking like something I would have used in the military and looks to be built like a tank. I don’t know if the Axiom was supposed to be a replacement/successor, update, or redesign of the ATX, but if it was, why on earth wouldn’t Garrett have made it waterproof? It’s obvious that Garrett designed the Axiom to look very similar to the current crop of Minelab & Nokta’s, and they’re all waterproof, so why not the Axiom? If they didn’t want to reinvent the wheel, they could have just designed and engineered it to fit inside an AT Pro type housing to make it waterproof. Sheesh. OK, Axiom rant over.

But ouch, the price of the ATX on the dealer’s websites I’ve seen almost gave me a coronary, lol. Looks like they ranged from $2,300 to $2,800 or so, depending on the package. That’s much less than Minelab PI’s, but still, I don’t want to take out a 2nd mortgage, lol.

Just thinking out loud, but it looks like if I did decide to pursue getting one, I’d have to scour the used market and hopefully find one that’s a bit more on the reasonable side of the financial scale. But before I get my hopes up, add the ATX to my dream/wish list, and continue researching, I’d like to hear what the real deal is with these PI’s, from some fellow detectorists who may own one of these, or who have used one, or knows somebody who either has or used one, etc.

I’m a simple guy, have used beep & go detectors with simple controls for the last 50+ years, even my Minelab Sovereign’s have simple controls, and it’s an absolute beast on the beach. From what I’ve seen, the ATX PI looks to be fairly simple for a PI and could possibly be a PI that would fit me like a glove, based on the types of detectors I’ve owned and what I like in a detector.

I’m apparently very late to this party, so I can’t figure why Garrett would have discontinued what looks to be a perfect PI, at least to my eyes based on what I like. The only negative issue I came across so far was that many users reported having issues with the coil cable, mainly cracking, probably due to the cable being inside the shaft where it may rub up against metal edges of the shaft. But I didn’t see any reports of the detector’s electronics failing, or leaking when submerged, or anything that would be considered more serious. I guess they may have discontinued the ATX because it’s large, bulky, heavy, and uber expensive, probably similar to Minelab coming out with the Manticore to potentially replace the aging, bulky, and heavier CTX 3030.

But ya know, doesn’t it seem it’s always that way, you find something that looks like it’s right up your alley, designed and laid-out the way you like, having enough controls to give you a lot of flexibility, while not overwhelming, something that makes you feel that you’re simpatico with the detector and wonder where it’s been all your life, rainbows start forming in the sky, Unicorns start singing, life appears to be in perfect harmony, and then, you hear the pop of your bubble bursting when you find out it’s no longer available and/or discontinued. But life, as always, goes on…

Would appreciate comments from any beach hunters familiar with the Garrett ATX PI, especially hunting wet sand and shallow salt water.
 
Upvote 0
Never owned, but borrow a couple times for beach. Little heavy fo me for long hours, think it weighs about 5.5-6 lbs. I knew someone who used it on beaches and had good luck.I preferred the Excals. Using Excals and Equinox 800 at moment.
 
Never owned, but borrow a couple times for beach. Little heavy fo me for long hours, think it weighs about 5.5-6 lbs. I knew someone who used it on beaches and had good luck.I preferred the Excals. Using Excals and Equinox 800 at moment.
I've been loving my Sovereign Elite for the last 14 years; it's been a beast on the beach and has had me digging 1/2 way to China more times than I can count. I never felt that I was missing out with the Sovereign, it usually detected deeper than I felt like digging, lol. Recently picked up an X-Terra Elite since it's waterproof, self-contained and pretty much a grab & go. Haven't had it out on the beach yet but would love to compare against my Sov.
 
The Axiom is 4.7-pounds with the 13" coil. Having used the Tesoro Sand Shark for over 10-years, I was very familiar with pulse induction units on the beach. The Axiom is fine if you want to dig hot wheels cars at 30" but spending $2,000.00 on a Gold Nugget machine for the beach is a complete waste of money. Get a Manticore. I took my Minelab GPX 5000 to the beach - once. Bread ties and fishhooks at 20", never again!
I like the Axiom. but not at the beach!
 

Attachments

  • stuff2.webp
    stuff2.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
Indeed I have one and have put many hours using it in the water. For me it corrects many of the Infiniums short comings. BUT the weight wa too much for me to use on wet/dry sand. I did get the ProSwing to hang it from. In the water the weight is no problem for me. The He-Haw for the Infinium is almost gone. The Iron Check is one button and not turning a know twice. The rear shaft mounting causes the coil to lift. Better when the open coil cover was released. On/Off switch is hard to turn when wearing gloves. I made a wood shaft that fit the know and now I have no problem in the cold weather, when the fingers are a bit numb. the biggest trouble is with the shaft locking knobs. They MUST be cleaned clear of salt and sand after each use. There is a special wrench to take the locking mechanisms apart. I have a power washer in the car to wash the unit off before leaving from the beach. Once you learn it well, I think it has the edge over the Excalibur especially in blacksand waters, but it is a brute and not for the weak.
 
UPDATE: Took delivery over the weekend of a White's Dual Field PI, Thanks Mike & OBN!!

After swinging VLF's, a TR, and a BFO over the last 56 years, this is my first PI. I'm used to digging deep holes with my Minelab Sovereign Elite with 12x10 & 15x12 SEF Butterfly coils, so a PI doesn't scare me, but I will need to prepare by stocking up on tubes of Icy Hot for my arms, lol.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OBN
I had the ATX for a short time, if you don't mind swinging a 10 pound anchor all day, then go for it. The Axiom is a better machine, no clue how it handles salt water.
I have an Algoforce +, a light PI if you use the smallest coil, and gains weight if you choose a larger coil, it uses any coil a minelab GPX will use. It has a salt mode, but I have not tried that, no beaches here in Arizona. there are videos on utube.
 
I had the ATX for a short time, if you don't mind swinging a 10 pound anchor all day, then go for it. The Axiom is a better machine, no clue how it handles salt water.
I have an Algoforce +, a light PI if you use the smallest coil, and gains weight if you choose a larger coil, it uses any coil a minelab GPX will use. It has a salt mode, but I have not tried that, no beaches here in Arizona. there are videos on utube.
Thanks. My dad is retired Coast Guard so I'll leave the anchor's to him, lol. I recently acquired a Surfmaster Dual Field PI, and have been spending the last few weeks getting some mods updated, parts ordered, etc. Detector is working really well so the only thing left I have to do is to spray the bottom of coil with liquid rubber to use as my "coil cover", as covers for the 12" Spider Coil seemed to have gone extinct. I used Plasti Dip Rubber Spray coating on my 12x10 SEF Butterfly coil about 12 years ago for my Sovereign, and it's worked out perfectly. Even sprayed it on my scoops handle and it gives a much better grip, especially when pulling wet sand.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OBN
From 2014:
No doubt about the ATX - My reasons for wanting it are confirmed!

I have only 20 hours hunting with the ATX in salt water. I have been hibernating for the past 15 days – below freezing temps, high winds, time of tides, snow etc. Anyway I got out Saturday. I went to a small beach which I know has seen over 75 hours of detecting by different detectorists since September. There had been 3 different detectors in use that I know of. I had been using my Infinium in my last 25+ hours at the beach. Yesterday I took the ATX to see what the other detectors had left behind. The below photo shows that a 1960 and a 1972 class ring, a 18K signet ring, two 14K wedding bands one yellow and one white gold had been resting waiting for a superb detector. All came from a 200 square foot area I know I have detected over for many, many hours. This area has yielded only 2 gold rings to the Infinium. Yesterday’s hunt was 4 hours long, and all the rings took only the last 30 minutes in the small area to retrieve. I know the area’s terrain; it has not changed in many months. No one else has found a ring in this area. Two of the rings were approximately 18 inches down through the sand, rocks and down to the clay bottom. Given the age of the rings and the time of year, they were not fresh drops. If I was to just compare my detecting in this area: I have only used the Infinium and the ATX, this takes the detectorist out of the equation. What does it leave as the only variable – the ATX? Now if I could only get the clams to clean out and move freely after each hunt…
1755363025973.webp
 
From 2014:
No doubt about the ATX - My reasons for wanting it are confirmed!

I have only 20 hours hunting with the ATX in salt water. I have been hibernating for the past 15 days – below freezing temps, high winds, time of tides, snow etc. Anyway I got out Saturday. I went to a small beach which I know has seen over 75 hours of detecting by different detectorists since September. There had been 3 different detectors in use that I know of. I had been using my Infinium in my last 25+ hours at the beach. Yesterday I took the ATX to see what the other detectors had left behind. The below photo shows that a 1960 and a 1972 class ring, a 18K signet ring, two 14K wedding bands one yellow and one white gold had been resting waiting for a superb detector. All came from a 200 square foot area I know I have detected over for many, many hours. This area has yielded only 2 gold rings to the Infinium. Yesterday’s hunt was 4 hours long, and all the rings took only the last 30 minutes in the small area to retrieve. I know the area’s terrain; it has not changed in many months. No one else has found a ring in this area. Two of the rings were approximately 18 inches down through the sand, rocks and down to the clay bottom. Given the age of the rings and the time of year, they were not fresh drops. If I was to just compare my detecting in this area: I have only used the Infinium and the ATX, this takes the detectorist out of the equation. What does it leave as the only variable – the ATX? Now if I could only get the clams to clean out and move freely after each hunt…
View attachment 2221365
NICE!! Great writeup WW. I just picked up my first PI after 56 years of swinging everything else. Got a Dual Field PI and will be taking it to the beach tomorrow for a couple days, so I'm anxious to see how it will compare against my Sovereign Elite. Of course, My Sov isn't waterproof, so I could never wander too far into the water, but the DF will open a lot more water to me, can't wait to see how he does.
 
The Axiom is 4.7-pounds with the 13" coil. Having used the Tesoro Sand Shark for over 10-years, I was very familiar with pulse induction units on the beach. The Axiom is fine if you want to dig hot wheels cars at 30" but spending $2,000.00 on a Gold Nugget machine for the beach is a complete waste of money. Get a Manticore. I took my Minelab GPX 5000 to the beach - once. Bread ties and fishhooks at 20", never again!
I like the Axiom. but not at the beach!
How does the Manticore compare to GPX 5000 in terms of detecting on the beach?
 
How does the Manticore compare to GPX 5000 in terms of detecting on the beach?
First the Manticore is water proof and the GPX is not.
Manticore is very deep but not as deep as a PI
I recently tested a manticore with a AQ PI, the best the manticore could get a buried USA nickel was 14 inches in the drysand ...... in the dry & wet saltwater sand the AQ PI no problem at 18 inches.
Once the manticore hits the saltwater it does fail to get a 5 gram gold ring at 14 inches ..
The AQ PI very strong hit at 14 inches, and some other test the AQ PI has hit a gold ring at 18 plus in saltwater conditions.
So VLF's are no match compared to a PI as far as depth, but a PI is very limited to where you can use it.
Just my opinion, As far as the best machine I would choice the Manticore being it is more versatile.
And one thing about the manticore, it has plenty of extra power to use but due to the surrounding conditions
one maynot be able to use it.
 
Last edited:
How does the Manticore compare to GPX 5000 in terms of detecting on the beach?
I have no idea, I have never used a GPX. I have about 10 hours swinging a new Vortex V9 and I am very impressed with it for the sand and surf. I just loaded the V9.11 firmware. I have yet to try it out as I am moving and selling my house, very time consuming. I have to say again, each detector I own has its own environment it shines in, wireless headphones, coil size, display, ease of changing operating parameters on the go, disassembly ease and small size for traveling. But above all the "best" one is the one I know best for the given conditions.
 
I own an ATX great for travel compact super simple goes really deep as an iron check that works pretty good but…..
It is heavy as lead I recommend using it in the water in a cleanish beach. Also recommend a strong sturdy water scoop. four years ago I pulled a wire out by accident duh I sent it in and had it fixed and serviced for about 50 bucks. Garrett has great customer service.
My unit has been stuck in storage for the past three years almost interested in selling it almost but not yet😁
 
Is there a PI detector that can go down to at least 30 ft.?
 
Fisher has a PI model.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom