I Was Enlightened This Evening

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here I sit, like many days and evenings, reading the posts, particularly "Today's Finds". I like to post on all finds (especially those in the US) and provide supportive comments to others on the fruits of their passion. Tonight I noticed that some of our fellow Tnet members only post their digs and never comment on others. If you are one of those selfish members, do not expect more than a like from me going forward. No sense in me investing time commenting on your finds if you are not willing to put some time into giving some supporting comments to others. JMHO

My time is just as precious to me as your's is to you. 8-)

GL & HH

Upvote 40

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Thanks for sharing what you'd like to see. I'm not one for the atta-boys and thumbs ups, and I've said that very thing in my business to potential new employees when I interview them. If they need a lot of feedback, we're not going to be a good fit. That said, I understand what you're saying, but different strokes for different folks. I think it's perfectly fine for people to post or not post as they desire. That's one of the great things about this forum, one can participate as much as they like, or as little as they like, but still be a part of the community.

When I had more time several years ago, I was a more active participant on this and several other forums. Times changed and now I have much less time for detecting related things. If I have a few minutes I like to drop in on the forum on my phone or tablet and read what people have been finding. When I have something to say or some good info to share, I'll definitely try to log in on the computer and type a response or share some information.

When I post my finds, or ask a question, I'm just putting it out there and folks can respond as they desire. Sometimes a post of mine gets no responses. That's the way it goes, and I'm ok with that. The one thing I learned a long time ago is that you definitely can't control the responses of people, especially on the internet, so I do what makes me happy and let the others do as they like and let it go.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the time I wake up tomorrow this thread will have been moved to general discussion. Is there a list for people who post in the wrong forum? Lol

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since being a lurker here for years and finally signing on, I must say I have learned so much in the past year I know I have missed out by not jumping in earlier. I enjoy the post and watching what everyone else finds. I am one of those that would rather someone find something than all us go home empty handed!!! I do know I don't post on the ones that appear "questionable" but hey, I still like to see the pictures. I appreciate those who have pm'ed us on the side and have given advise......only problem is my son is picking this hobby up much fast than I did!!!!! Thanks for the Post Loco!!!:icon_thumleft:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, Loco.

What I love about this forum is that it is welcoming to all kinds of folks, with plenty of room for everyone. Both the folks who are brand new to metal detecting, and those who are 30 year veterans with all kinds of archeological and historical knowledge. It's nice to have a place to go and share one's excitement over that odd bit of unidentified metal, or occasionally something really significant. For me it's like I have made a new friends, cause we all have a common passion. I am thankful for all the friendly encouragement and support received since I joined.

And I find myself congratulating other folks pretty regularly, which, apparently, some find tiresome to read because it doesn't convey new information. It's not all about the readers, though, it's about the the person who made the find, and who is taking the time to share it, and I imagine everyone enjoys kudos when they post something up.

Well said also.

If you're referring to my comments, I don't find it tiresome when someone responds to every thread, I just find it tiresome when people reply to every thread with basically the same comment. Like they're not putting any real effort into what they're saying...like I said, just commenting for the sake of making a comment.

If you're not referring to what I said...nevermind. this is just something that's always bugged me and this post gave me a chance to voice my opinions.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LD, you and a handful of others make wonderful ambassadors for the sport and this site. Thank you. It is also tough to be so outgoing without building an expectation for reciprocation. I'm glad you at least put your frustration out there, rather than withdrawing, which is always way easier.

I myself have tended to come here in episodes, partly due to having to set limits with myself and stay offline in order to keep some balance in my life (and get things done!), but also due to the very sort of self-centeredness you highlighted in your post. Something to sit with for a spell.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely see what you're saying. And I appreciate your efforts..people like you are what make this site great.

With me though I can't stand when someone just posts an emoji or something as a response. To me it's like they're not really acknowledging a find....just responding for the sake of responding. Just a difference of opinion I suppose...not trying to downplay the incredible efforts you and other members go into contributing to the community. Just putting my two cents out there. I simply don't have the time to do that, unless it's something I feel is really worth responding to.

:occasion14:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco, you are very generous with likes at my end. sadly you and I are no "VINO".______ that was the humor part. since today was a total rain out I gots nuttin' to post:-(

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair many members do not have time to read let alone post on all the finds even if they wanted to. I know I used to have time, but now I work later and later, and thus I have less time for T-net. But still I find myself on here at 2AM posting on other people's posts even though I should be sleeping.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just recently discovered what "like" means, how to use it, and that i could access it on Tapatalk (I use TNET almost exclusively from my phone). I am 29, but unlike the majority of my census i am not into social media of any kind - so the concept of "liking" is all new to me. I've since tried to make up for lost time and i now hit the thumbs-up for specific postings that interest me or the posts that someone took the effort to share their story.

I have a problem in that i probably only see about 10% of TNET postings... I strictly abide by the "constructive comments only" rule, and when i do reply i really try to put forth the effort to offer details, photos, etc... then proofread/correct any grammatical errors to the best of my abilities... So, in short - i spend most of my TNET time composing, and by the time i have finished my "browsing" time has been greatly reduced.

The TNET mobile apps search function just flat-out doesn't seem to work, so if i miss new postings, it seems they are gone forever unless i get on the computer (or someone bumps it back to the top).

What i can't stand is when I (or anyone for that matter) post something up inviting community involvement here on TNET, and HUNDREDS of members read/view it, without a single contribution... If your not interested in speaking up, cool... But don't be a tittybaby when i revive the thread 2-3 months later to see if any newcomers would like to offer input. Just because no one answered 'back then' doesn't mean that I lost interest.

---------------------------------------------
As an example, for anyone who has stayed with me this long and is still hearing me out:

Someone started a thread a good while back asking everyone for their opinion on what the "Top 10 Guns" found by members here on TNET were. I'm pretty sure i was the only one to respond to the guy who posted it... I thought it was a great idea for a discussion. If guns aren't your thing, awesome - I understand you may not be interested in contributing to that particular thread.

But the kicker is anyone who has spent more than a day on TNET knows there is a lot of firearms-related talk by self-proclaimed 'gun experts' whose prior postings may also be related to relic hunting... You'd think a "Top 10 Guns Found" thread would catch their interest!

But in all the months it's been posted, and including my recent "bump to top" - still no other takers have chimed in.

I'm starting to think a good majority of these 'gun experts' are just members of your run-of-the-mill "It's cool to like AR-15's / 1911's / 'Come and Take It' flags" crowd and wouldn't know truly timeless firearm designs if they got whacked by one between the eyes. Perhaps since no one is digging up an AR-15 or a 1911 they have nothing to say - because they don't know anything else?

I don't know, it just seems that a lot of threads with good potential seemingly get ignored in favor of bashing a certain detector brand or justifying to others that their 100% natural yet goofy-shaped rock is a 'treasure sign', haha.

----------------------------------------------

AFTERTHOUGHT:

There was just recently a thread regarding users posting up finds and not stating what machine they were using, details, etc.

I posted the following up in that thread. I figure it is along the same lines as what I've typed up in this post as well, so I've included it here:

What -really- frustrates me is when folks don't put ANY location info on their profile, and then post up their finds without the courtesy of a general location included in the narrative...

Maybe I'm alone on this - but I am of the mindset that you should type out every new thread you start under the assumption that a brand new member is seeing your postings for the first time... And if your profile is blank how are they supposed to know what general location you dig? Listing a generic locale may help offer encouragement to the guys near you who maybe have been stuck in a rut lately, plus it just adds provenance to the find in general.

There are a lot of folks on TNET, and a ton of us (me included) can't remember that one time 3 years ago that you may have casually mentioned you worked near that one gas station about 45 minutes south of Nashville or whatever, haha! We don't have that recollection to apply to all your later postings.

(This is me when i read a blank-profile members thread)

"Oh cool, this guy found a belt plate, I'm going to -assume- in Virginia cause that's where the majority of TNET plates seem to come out of. It's been a month since that has happened."

-Versus-

"Holy crap, this guy found a belt plate on private property near where Custer made his last stand!!! BANNER!!!"
----------------------------------------------

I am 100% on board with not disclosing your hunting spots - but give us your state at a minimum... Ideally (in my mind) would be your general vicinity or region (Northern Tennessee, Southern Pennsylvania, a miners camp in Colorado, a beach on the east coast of Florida, etc...)

If you don't offer us a little bit of insight into your find, as far as i see it your just posting to brag - which is cool - but TNET should be utilized to the FULL potential it was intended for: a resource to connect with/help fellow hunters.

I'd like to add that location becomes potentially even more vital when you post over in the "What Is It?" section... You can only help those who help themselves!

Oh, and scale. Doesn't have to be a science. If you don't / can't provide measurements, weights, etc - no problem - but at LEAST plop a dime or something down next to your find before you snap a photo!

I apologize if i derailed your thread, OP.
If you don't want all this jamming up your thread let me know and I'll remove it and start a new thread titled "Tejaas' suggestions for helpful/constructive/involved discussion postings" , haha!

Happy Hunting!

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I see as you Loco, and see this on all forums.....for those that fall into the "Post and Run" category at least take the time to hit "like" on things that strikes your passion for the hobby.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of the guilty ones. Those who know me. Know that I work 60 to 70 hours a week. And when I am not working there are husband duties :BangHead:. When I do post it is the only time I have to myself to go out and detect. I do try to comment on some posts when I do get on. This is a really great topic and I will make a better effort to appreciate others finds in the future.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that get me are the ones who post...then get all sorts of reaction, but you never hear another word from them again... Then, on their next hunt, post, then disappear again.... over and over. Click on their profile, likes received=2105, likes given=0.

Makes me want to put them on ignore, but as of now, there is only one tool on my ignore list.

Folks, Interesting post, but I hope I'm not on your poo-poo list. If you look at my profile, you'll see I haven't given out many "likes". Why? I kind of don't know what it means. I'm not a member of the Twitter, Snap-Chat, or whatever "society", but when I see "likes" flying around everywhere on the internet, I get numb to them. When I can, I try to respond directly to the post as opposed to clicking like. It's just me. There are so many great posts here on T-Net and I don't have time to read them all, but T-Net has taught me a lot about metal detecting and the history of this country from researching the finds. Hopefully members are not judged by the number of likes given versus received.

aj

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this today's find??

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm on t-net, I cherry pick (so to speak) I open threads that catch my eye by title or members that I am familiar with. I wish I had time to read every post but I simply don't. You make a good point LD. There are members here that I have a lot of respect for and they have earned that respect through thear post. It's as simple as this, the more you pratisape the more you get out of this forum. Heck,I might even learn to spell. Dought it though.:D:D

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I never hear anything back on a comment I made on someones thread/post... I delete it.
If I "liked" it...
I dislike.
Heh.
Inconsiderate people suck.

PS> IF I do not reply... Its because I am lame ... heh... And have not seen it yet...
OR I am inundated.

PSS> JUST so you know...
I do not lurk in forums...
I sit on ACTIVE TOPICS... and reload periodically... SOMETIMES (rarely) ... I sit in the charter member live posts...
BUT... overall I will not see what someone has posted or said till long after.
I may not see it until someone else posts on thread and it comes up on top of Active Topics. and I have reloaded the page.

Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting "today's find" topic. Not sure if it's a matter of selfishness when people don't comment, but post their own finds. When I post my finds to this board (and it has been a while), I do it because I want to share history and make someone happy to read about my finds. It takes a lot of time to post a thread! I comment when I can, I post my own finds when I can. Keeping a tally of who only posts new threads and then never comments on threads is an interesting expenditure of time. I'd rather be digging.

Too much sensitivity. Post, don't post. Comment, or don't comment. 98% of TNET posts are NOT self-serving.

Sorry to run against the grain a bit here. This is a good dialogue. It's in the wrong forum, but it's still an interesting discussion.

HH

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is this today's find??

I was enlightened and started to check profiles and found out that many only post their finds and never give any support or advice to others. I guess it's the times we are in "me me me me".

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
as someone who has given more likes then I have received,i don't think this thread is about me,i will add seeing 15 copy- paste responses does feel slightly un genuine,but really the thing that's gets me the most is seeing an incredible once in a lifetime post with 300 views,and not 1 comment,i could see if they were all views by guests,but when you scroll down the page and see the member list who is currently viewing,said thread,then you visit the next day to see said members only commented on the same list of ppls threads.that kinda gets lame... The click knows who they are

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions