What's new

ID help 1920 china ware

crzhors

Full Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
111
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Greetings,I just found this pottery off a beach near the old Fort Sherman,Panama-Toro Point.
Anybody able to help with backround?I've already Emailed the China Maker. thanks, JD
 

Attachments

  • China from colon,panama 3.webp
    China from colon,panama 3.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • China from colon,panama 2.webp
    China from colon,panama 2.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,581
  • China from colon,panama 1.webp
    China from colon,panama 1.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,410
Interesting finds :thumbsup:

I have found references to Q.M.C. boats operating around the Canal. I presume the Q.M.C. is the US Quartermaster Corps.
One being;

KELLUM, J. A., 1st Class Private, Q. M. C. Born in
Onslow County; the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Kellum.
Entered the service Feb. 4, 1918, at Durham, N. C. Was
sent to Ft. Scriven, Ga., and from there to Washington,
D. C. Transferred to Camp Merritt, Hoboken, N. J., and
to Newport News, Va., then to Porto Rico. Was sent
from Porto Rico to Balboy, Canal Zone, from there to
Gattun, Canal Zone. Was in charge of Q. M. C. boats dur-
ing the war. Boats were J. W. McKey, Conyoy Q. M. No.
1, and the Buck. Had charge of all the Q. M. C. boats on
Panama Canal during the war.
Left Panama April 10,
1919. Landed at New Orleans April 18, 1919. Was sent
from there to Camp Shelby. Mustered out at Camp Jack.
son, S. C., April 27, 1919.

from http://images.dcr.state.nc.us/wwi/part4/2645.txt

Mike
 
Upvote 0
military messhall style plain crockery of that time frame --would be my guess.
 
Upvote 0
1901 Buffalo Pottery organized by William J Rea, making semivitrous ware
1903 1st kiln fired
1915 1st use of the Buffalo China mark
1916 production of vitrified china began
1956 name officially changed to Buffalo China
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
most likely broken / dumped messhall crockery from the fort.
 
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for the response, I'd guess its the Quarter Master Corp, Anyhow off to the beach and local jungle for more digging, Excaliber perhaps? 8)
 
Upvote 0
Blacksheep said:
(Originally posted in bottles/glass)

found this "This stenciled mark belongs to Buffalo Pottery
(Buffalo, New York). The “Q.M.C.” portion of the mark indicates “Quality Stamo
Company” wares, which were produced in the 1920s and 1930s." .

Buried in this report.

http://www.tsdye2.com/reports/025/Hickam-Report.pdf

Ebay,
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/Buffalo...p3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Great research Blacksheep :thumbsup:
I have looked for any other references to Quality Stamo Company without any luck. I do wonder if the mention in your report should have read Quality Stamp Company - but I still fail to see the relationship between QMC and QSC. :icon_scratch:

I'll be interested to see what info crzhors receives from the manufacturer.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
That particular report had me dozing off several times, I too questioned the reference to "Quality Stamo
Company" and also found nothing. :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
we still use buffalo china on many of the merchamt marine vessels I was on in todays age-- its plain jane white heavy duty utility type crockery * made for heavy use.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom