What's new

ID help please fossil bone

Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
3,509
Reaction score
4,495
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sagittarius A*
Primary Interest:
Other
Can anyone help shed some light on what part of what critter this is?

The marrow is silicified, so that must tell us something about minimum age. The piece is about 2 inches.
 

Attachments

  • F120.webp
    F120.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 119
  • F121.webp
    F121.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 115
  • F122.webp
    F122.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 117
  • F124.webp
    F124.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 115
Does anyone know about the timeline range for silicization ? The photos look too bright on the site, I'll have to get some better shots up here later. And I'll use a ruler for scale.
 
Good thinking and do your pics outside.
You may have what looks like a portion of ammonite.

Jess B.
 
I am not seeing sea critter, more like part of a large mammal. Here, I did better photos.
 

Attachments

  • BF138.webp
    BF138.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 117
  • BF134.webp
    BF134.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 117
  • BF135.webp
    BF135.webp
    41 KB · Views: 117
  • BF136.webp
    BF136.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 115
  • BF137.webp
    BF137.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 113
Not sure. Hopefully someone can help
 
Well one thing I can say, it is bone material.
You may never get an acceptable response.
Just not enough of your find to give a positive identification for reference.

Jess B.
 
could be a sea creature/sea mammal, definitely looks like a chordate so could be some sort of fused vertebrae.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom