ID Help Please

KYHeadHunter

Jul 16, 2007
Kentucky
I've looked in several artifact books, but I still have trouble figuring out exactly what I have a lot of the time. Hope you all can help. I'll tell you what I think each of them are and you can tell me how wrong I am. These were all found in SC Kentucky. Thanks

The first 2 pics look a little like some pics of quads that I've seen and a little like some pics of cumberlands. The 3rd and 4th pics are of a broken point that I thought looks a little like a clovis.
Pics 5,6, & 7 look to me like they might be Beaver Lake.
Pic 8 looks like quads.
Pic 9 looks like a Dalton
Pics 10 & 11 I'm not sure

Attachments

• 1_1.JPG
    1_1.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 1_2.JPG
    1_2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 333
  • 2_1.JPG
    2_1.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 2_2.JPG
    2_2.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 6_1.JPG
    6_1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 6_2.JPG
    6_2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 7_1.JPG
    7_1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 9_1.JPG
    9_1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 10_1.JPG
    10_1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 8_1.JPG
    8_1.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 323
  • 8_2.JPG
    8_2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
Very interesting!
I found one of those balls made from the same material in north central Ma. Mine seems to be very rough in texture to be a grinder of any sort. Seems like it would show polish if it was used to grind or mill.
Some have told me it's a game ball.
One thing I do know, mine is man made. From the photos, your's looks man made as well. In fact, it looks alot like mine.
IMG_4295.jpg

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Can't help too much with Kentucky points. If you're having trouble with typology the best thing to do is visit with other collectors. By talking with other collectors in your area and handling other peoples finds you will learn as much as you need. I've learned more from local collectors and historians than I could ever hope to learn in a book. Good luck, Unitas

relix

Greenie
May 12, 2008
I don't have my Overstreet handy, however I noticed a few of those points were what is referred to as 'Candy Creek'. Theres a very interesting story with this type. Many people believe that the Paleo people survived until around 2000 BC. This type is supposedly was influenced by these people, thus giving it the lanceolate shape. The flaking is definately archaic-woodland transition. The first point you have resembles the 'Quad' type, but the flaking isn't from the Paleo period. Were all of these points found at the same location?

OP
OP
K

KYHeadHunter

Jul 16, 2007
Kentucky
Thanks for the replies. Relix, yes all of these were found on my grandparents farm on the Cumberland River. We've found stuff from every time period there and I estimate around 3,000 artifacts have been picked up there. I do have one clovis that came from there and my uncle has some so I know there are paleo there. One of the books I use to try and identify with is the Overstreet, but to me some of the candy creek and beaver lake look a lot alike. I think maybe I need to learn the different flaking techniques and which periods each were used and that might help me to better identify.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
They are all good quality flint.There are two sites that the older heads rec-comend that lets you use shape of points, Its a very helpful site.I've usedv it alot but right now I'm not at my pc, If someone sends it, it will help. I'll check with you tomorrow.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics 1 through 4 I'm not sure.

Pics 5 and 6 looks like a Copena Point.

Pic 7 looks like Trimble Points.

Pics 8 and 9 I'm not sure.

Pics 10 and 11 look like Guilfords.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
The first point is a 'Generic' Archaic blade made from Dover Chert. I say generic, because it has no visible classifying features but it was used.

The second is a Candy Creek point made from either fossiliferous hornstone or Candy Creek chert. That statement in itself is kind of a contradiction, because Candy Creek is a rare Hornstone variant.

Being a modern Flint knapper pays off. :thumbsup:

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
1 through 9 look like beaver lakes. 10 is a clovis, and the last two look like wheelers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions