ID Help

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this large red hard stone piece yesterday afternoon. At first I thought it was just a rock and was about to toss it but it is not like any other rock in this area. My pictures are really misleading but to me this looks like an artifiact. There appears to be pecking all around the edge and it looks like it has been shaped. It almost looks like a small (dull) axe. One end is bitted but not as sharp as I would expect from an axe. Any ideas?

I also found this base...It's a good thing I got out yesterday because we got 6 inches of snow overnight...

Attachments

• what.jpg
    what.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 240
  • what2.jpg
    what2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 230
  • what3.jpg
    what3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 226
  • whatsit004.jpg
    whatsit004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about the stone piece,may have been a tool for something, kinda hard to tell.The broken piece looks to be a broken preform snapped in the making. HB

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It could have been broken in the making... or in use.... or while on/in the ground. The top piece is definitely a hammer stone, distinct wear patterns around the edges and the little circular area of peck marks, for some reason I have yet to figure out, is also pretty common on hammerstones. Cool stuff, good spot-

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree with that being a hammer stone and the preform. Bummer it is broken.

Keep it and go back to the site. Look around any flat areas where rabbits or other game are found today--they would have been hunting areas back then, also. I've done that in AZ and found several broken points--ones that I attribute to being broken when used for food gathering. I have even found the broken off part of a preform (that is why I keep all broken points I find).

Good hunting.

Stryker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread