What's new

Ideas for good water proof detector?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking for a decent water detector. I hunt with a Minelab Safari now but I do not want to take it anywhere near the water because I will probably accidentally drop it. I hunt beaches a few times a year but live in walking distance to the Potomac River. I am in a great Civil War area and want to hit the river at some crossings I researched. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Look at the excalibur II from minelab. You can get it with an 8" or 10" coil. It has very good discrimination and hits pretty deep. It is one of the most popular underwater md out there. It is going to be my choice for my next detector. How do you like your safari?
 
Since you are thinking of relics I would not choose the Excal. A Fisher 1280 or CZ-21, or Tiger Shark would fit the bill nicely. Excal would do nicely on the beaches for jewelry and coins, but nulls on iron.
 
Thanks for the help. The Safari has been great. I have done very well with it finding Civil War relics. Used it on the beaches in NC and actually got tired of digging. Coins and jewelry ring clear on the Safari. Very easy to learn and the factory settings work great. Wanted to get a waterproof detector for the surf and river hunting. Never really did any detecting in the river but would like to give it a try.
 
Sandman is correct the excal does null out on small iron BUT larger pieces sound off either as a high pitch or overload sound........you also have the option to hunt in all metal mode
 
I just got the Garrett Infinium. Paid for it in less than 2 days finding gold rings.
I think a PI is the only way to go for relics. Not only that but the Infinium can find the gold too.
I never hunted for relics but seems to me you would want to dig everything when hunting relics. If I wanted to dig everything ( which I do) I would have a good PI ( which I do )
 
Sandman said:
Since you are thinking of relics I would not choose the Excal. A Fisher 1280 or CZ-21, or Tiger Shark would fit the bill nicely. Excal would do nicely on the beaches for jewelry and coins, but nulls on iron.

Question: Never used a Tiger Shark, how's it stack up against the CZ-21? Any pros & cons?
 
ExcaliburII is my vote.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom