IDED AMERICAN COPY OF FRENCH CHARLIEVILLE BAYONET, VIRGINIA MILITIA 1781

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I probably got burned... I loved the story.... Here it is I bought a bayonet claimed to be id’ed to American officer. Dealer claims arms dealers all agree it’s Rev War period?? I should have known better, and don’t have any Rev War references, except Don T's button book. But what I read on internet, T Mortise didn’t come out till M-!816? Is there any possibility this bayonet is Rev War????
Chris Carroll
BA History NCWC
From the dealer
IDED AMERICAN COPY OF FRENCH CHARLIEVILLE BAYONET, BEDFORD COUNTY VIRGINIA MILITIA, BATTLE OF YORKTOWN, VIRGINIA, 1781
This American copy of a French Charlieville musket was used by Captain John Torbert who commanded Torbert’s Company, Bedford County Militia, Virginia Militia.
It is 19 ¼” overall length with a 16” blade, is in good & well used condition with light/medium pitting.
Captain John Torbert served in the Bedford County Virginia Militia from May, 1774 through the Battle of Yorktown & was at the British surrender on October 19, 1781.
He returned to Bedford County & served until March 1784.
He served under Lt. Colonel Francis Mercer at the American Virginia Militia position on Gloucester Point on the north bank of the York River at the Battle of Yorktown, Virginia where they successfully repelled the feared and infamous unit of Colonel Banastre Tarleton, thus closing the one means of British escape at Gloucester Point.
It was bought in Bedford Virginia along with Captain Torbert’s musket powder horn by the famous Virginia collector James Anderson & became part of his large 1500+ collection of Virginia artifacts that he collected over a 50 year period.
It comes with an Anderson Collection letter.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bayo expert, but the number one rule is "buy the piece, not the story". A story that cannot be proven is just a story. I never heard of James Anderson, but Dale Anderson was a great collector and dealer in VA relics who I did buy from in the 1970s. I'd take it back to the dealer if the mortise is incorrect for the dealer's time frame.

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup unfortunately your another collector gotten taken by the user name on Ebay of Revwarcannonballs. His relics are real but the stories are fabricated. If not by him someone that bought from him as this is his MO to give a great story with a signed letter from the owner. However the seller is the signer. Buyer beware. As collectors, me included , we have all paid for education, so don't never buy the story educate yourself. Any relic offered at like Buy it Now for like $168 worth 4 times that amount should throw up a Red Flag. I am new to TN but been a relic hunter/ collector for 25 years and seen all the scams and fakery. Be caucious out there. Your bayonet is real but just not Rev War. Gary

OP
OP
nchistory

nchistory

Mar 22, 2012
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a refund, and a learning experience.
yes revwarcannonballs & generallee BEWARE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions