What's new

identifying an axle

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this axle this morning. It is 68" long, and only 42" between the hubs (less room if you account for wheel clearance). The axle itself is a stout 1 3/4 inches thick, with tapered hubs held by older square nuts. The wooden wheels have long since rotted away leaving only trhe iron hubs, and one inside hub ring on the axle and another that was close by. Any ideas to when this type of 10 1/2" interior wheel hub dated from, or what use this axle might have had, considering it's heavy weight narrow inside width? Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • axle.webp
    axle.webp
    399.6 KB · Views: 286
I just don't know trader. Obviously I would dream of the one in a ten-thousand shot it might be related to the canon ball and Rev War sword hilt I found on the property or the action that took place a mile away later in 1812, but again, the odds of that are mighty mighty slim. If it did have anything to do with that, it would probably have been a 3 pounder or 5 pounder, but I can't find any dimensions for carriage width, and dimensions are the key.

Like you said, the odds are huge it was for something else, but considering the very remote seaside area where it was dug, it would most likely be related to the water, hauling crushed shells, charcoal, log dolly, etc.. Identifying exactly the little stuff, the hubs in particular, will identify it or at least date it, but I just don't know where to look. It was probably premature to post it until I dig every single piece of iron in the immediate area to see how they all fit in.
 
Upvote 0
Hope you don't mind, I re-sized the pic.

Tim
 

Attachments

  • axle.webp
    axle.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Thanks Tim :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Trader for your help. The fact that your axle has a lynch pin pretty much eliminates mine from the running, unless other carriages had square bolts. They probably did not, but had pins also so the wheels could be changed quickly in the field. This link was a big help though in eliminating a 1000 to 1 chance it might be something better. Thanks again.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom