If you had a choice of only one machine for a once in a lifetime hunt

almost.

I no longer use a Sovereign, due to circumstances beyond my control.

Although I'm happy with my Explorer SE for deep silver,
I miss finding Gold rings which the Explorer or my ears can't hear without BBS :(

don't know If my ears will ever hear a gold coin again either without BBS

Jeff, If you didn't already know it, you can program the CTX 3030 to match any frequency with any type of find you want. If your hearing is weak in a certain frequency, you just use a frequency you can hear for that type of target. Happy Hunting. Beach Papa

Jeff, If you didn't already know it, you can program the CTX 3030 to match any frequency with any type of find you want. If your hearing is weak in a certain frequency, you just use a frequency you can hear for that type of target. Happy Hunting. Beach Papa

That's cool Beach Papa ! if the 3030's price ever drops to below $400.00 new.
Let me know, & I'll stop complaining over the loss of the Sovereign & buy a CTX
laughing7.gif

Last edited:
My "Miss Cal" is superb for this.
Finds all the pull tabs, I can dig - especially the deep ones.
Also loves shallow bottle caps, so you have double the fun.

Excels on Gold rings - Nulls almost every time - saving you the time and effort of returning.

Sorry, Not able to post knob settings - Too many Lurkers out there!

Hope you understand, one cannot be too careful.

One that could tell the difference between pull tabs and gold rings.

Last edited:
My "Miss Cal" is superb for this. Finds all the pull tabs, I can dig - especially the deep ones. Also loves shallow bottle caps, so you have double the fun. Excels on Gold rings - Nulls almost every time - saving you the time and effort of returning. Sorry, Not able to post knob settings - Too many Lurkers out there! Hope you understand, one cannot be too careful.

Are you not a fan of excal?

Before choosing which machine I would use I would first want to know the makeup of the beach sand you would be detecting in as well as other factors that might make me choose a different machine. There are beaches I go to that nothing but my pulse will work well do to the mineralization, at others with a lot of trash I would choose a machine with discrimination. Other paramiters might change my mind such as the electrical interferance at one beach I detect at will kill my Excalibur. Too many things I do not know to tell you which of the 11 machines I have to recommend just one.

Aquastar !!!!!!!!!!!

best of all the Pulsepowers
it exists, that 23 exemplary .........

Quite the contrary, lost items recovery, I was making fun of my mistakes and less than desired finds to date, not the Excalibur – which in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best, beach detector designed. I have found platinum, gold and silver (shallow water, wet sand, dry sand) on salt water beaches. Just not as much as required to justify cost(s). My problem is one of time and transportation – not being able to get out often enough and not able to get to the more productive areas to detect.

If I had one wish, that would be granted by Mine Lab it would be to upgrade the current Excalibur to Sovereign GT performance or better BBS technology, incorporate a waterproof push button to rapidly switch between modes (Discrimination, allmetal/pinpoint) that can be mounted on stock and custom shafts and give the buyer the option of buying the standard hardwired model or one with waterproof connectors (at additional cost) for added flexibility so that the headphones and search coil can be changed as needed.

Until that wish is granted (zero probability) , I will focus on waterproofing the more capable and flexible Sovereign GT (which is a must as it constantly rains where I live). I do not consider the CTX -3030 a suitable alternative for my use in unprotected water(s) and will continue using the Sovereign and Excalibur until they are no longer supportable.

Are you not a fan of excal?

Last edited:
Eleven Machines - That's quite a lot?
Which of the eleven are waterproof?

Before choosing which machine I would use I would first want to know the makeup of the beach sand you would be detecting in as well as other factors that might make me choose a different machine. There are beaches I go to that nothing but my pulse will work well do to the mineralization, at others with a lot of trash I would choose a machine with discrimination. Other paramiters might change my mind such as the electrical interferance at one beach I detect at will kill my Excalibur. Too many things I do not know to tell you which of the 11 machines I have to recommend just one.

Water detectors: 99% of my detecting is in the water for the past 20 years
My newest is the ATX, ATPro, Infinium, two Excaliburs 10" and 15" WOT, Whites Surfmaster PI
Land detectors: Started detecting in Manassas, VA Battle of Bull Run area.
Troy X2, Tesoro Conquietsdor, Whites 5900, 6000DI S2, MXT
I have detected from Guam to Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Iceland, Scotland, Spain, Mexico, several islands in the Caribbean, all New England states, VA, PA, SC, FL CA, OR, NY other I can not remember just now...
Metal Detecting is a wonderful hobby. I have been in many newspapers, on the radio, and on the TV. What a great run. My favorite is returning items that I have found. I belong to two MD Clubs and one international org. I am retired and at 66 our hobby keeps me fit.

May the ring of gold be in your ears and the glitter in your scoop
WaterWalker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back