Garrett Sea Hunter problem - Not working

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone:

I've just set up my new Garrett SH MK2 and did everything stated in the manual and watched the video.

When I turn the detector on it starts beeping randomly like crazy and when I pass a gold ring by the coil it doesn't even detect it!

What am I doing wrong?

When I plugged in the search coil connector it was very tough putting it in, it appeared some gold plating came off the pins! Why is it so tight when in the video the gentleman puts the connector in so easily?

Also, I live right next door to an AM radio tower. It interferes so bad that you can hear it on my land line. So that could be the problem. I will take the detector with me and see if it works. Hopefully my vacation isnt ruined.

Please help!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey everyone: I've just set up my new Garrett SH MK2 and did everything stated in the manual and watched the video. When I turn the detector on it starts beeping randomly like crazy and when I pass a gold ring by the coil it doesn't even detect it! What am I doing wrong? When I plugged in the search coil connector it was very tough putting it in, it appeared some gold plating came off the pins! Why is it so tight when in the video the gentleman puts the connector in so easily? Also, I live right next door to an AM radio tower. It interferes so bad that you can hear it on my land line. So that could be the problem. I will take the detector with me and see if it works. Hopefully my vacation isnt ruined. Please help!!

Don't know much about that machine but check to see if there is any metallic object like something from the pin connection that may have bent or came off and bridged from one pin or it's input socket if so carefully remove it and insure the pins are straight and correctly in place.
I've dealt with interference on beaches before with pi machines and other types due to wifi naval ships in the area ect.
To ease your mind it sounds like you're just experiencing interference from the am tower next door! It's usually so bad you instantly want to take your earphones off. I'm fairly confident that if you bring the detector somewhere like a beach or woods with no hotels transmitting wifi or away from towers you will most likely be alright.
Let us know how you make out and good luck!!

the connections are not supposed to be tight or hard to assemble. You may have broken a pin and the only way to check is to take the connector out of the socket and look.

that gentleman that assembles the machine in the video has done it a hundred times.

I've had some problems with my Seahunter over the past 5 years or so, one with water intrusion, other times with "Idontknowwhat" but Garrett has taken good care of it.

remember this golden adage: If it won't fit, force it.

Just kiddin

Hey everyone:

I've just set up my new Garrett SH MK2 and did everything stated in the manual and watched the video.

When I turn the detector on it starts beeping randomly like crazy and when I pass a gold ring by the coil it doesn't even detect it!

What am I doing wrong?

When I plugged in the search coil connector it was very tough putting it in, it appeared some gold plating came off the pins! Why is it so tight when in the video the gentleman puts the connector in so easily?

Also, I live right next door to an AM radio tower. It interferes so bad that you can hear it on my land line. So that could be the problem. I will take the detector with me and see if it works. Hopefully my vacation isnt ruined.

Please help!!

Pulse induction detectors are very sensitive to outside electrical interference. The first thing I would do is to get it well away from that tower in order to test it---miles away. When you do test it, keep the coil flat on the ground and away from any metal objects, this will minimize EMI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back