If you were to start all over....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started in May 2014 and did not get a good pin pointer until October 2014. I should have invested in one sooner. In my 1st 8 months I dug over $500 and if I had bought a pin pointer sooner, who knows maybe I would have dug over $700 :dontknow: I had a couple clad infested virgin sites and many weekends I dug between $60-$80 combined. I had to run my coin tumbler every weekend. Now I only run it about once every 4 to 6 weeks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
At fourteen years old back in 1976 I bought a White’s Coinmaster II with the new discrimination feature. Took me a while to save up, I believe it was a mid-level machine.

I was in over my head. Sure wish the ‘web was around back then because I knew no one else into detecting. I hung it up after a year or so.

Got back into the hobby about 30 years later.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would do differently is to concentrate on lost gold jewelry. I started in 65 at age 10 and have been at it ever since. Been through a lot of machines and watched the once plentiful silver coins virtually disappear from the ground like the buffalo did from the plains. Spent a decade CW relic hunting, and about 30 years chasing old coins but now just hunt local clad, and whatever oldies happen to pop up. Gold is my main target, but I haven't found a piece in 2 years! Starting to Jones really badly, shaking all over.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, not sure what I'd do different?

I've had fun with all of it! I use an older machine that I wouldn't change because I still believe even though it's old it was some of the best tech out and not sure that they have improved all that much other than bells and whistles.

I've hunted random places along with places that we did a little research on. Both are fun.

I do it (when I do) just for the thrill of the hunt. Low expectations and if something comes out? Great!!! I also dig every signal, every little blip...Because some of those ended up my better finds!

So, if your not in a hurry, and want to really see what's in the ground? Set it low and dig everything!! You may be surprised at what you might find.

Look for pop tabs and nails! If you find Gold? Even better!

I've also learned..Someone saying..."I've already detected that spot" or "that has been hit before" doesn't mean much. You can detect spots that people have been through and still find things, even if you've been over it before yourself.

I've also learned that even the cheapest machine will find things. You want something OK but don't put a lot of focus on..."If I had a newer or better machine...." Unless, you want! That part is fun too, but not my interest. I'm completely happy with a machine I bought used, in the late 90's. I know it well, and understand it's language. I also have multiple older machines, I think there are 5 floating around here, but I still stick with the one.

After reading the thread, Get a pinpointer like mentioned a few posts up!!! I've never had one! And think it would be nice to locate things a little quicker. That is something that I've done that I hope to change soon.

Last edited:

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most, I wish I had been more serious about it when I was younger, my Dad was into it big time, but I was to interested in girls, hot cars, and partying. Finally in my mid 50s I got back into it and had a good time with my Dad. He is gone now and I regret the time lost I could have spent with him.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most, I wish I had been more serious about it when I was younger, my Dad was into it big time, but I was to interested in girls, hot cars, and partying. Finally in my mid 50s I got back into it and had a good time with my Dad. He is gone now and I regret the time lost I could have spent with him.

I'm there with ya, My Dad, Grandfather, and Brother were into it heavy while I was out doing other things.....I did go but not as much as they did. My brother and Grandfather are gone now....But it is a small regret in the hobby....After your post, I'd have to agree on that as a regret too.

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
easy answer 30 years earlier :icon_thumright:

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As previously said, I would not changed anything except I wish they had detectors when I was much younger. Just remember to detect where you don't think it would be a good spot to detect. Sometimes you will be surprised.

Yes!!! Little play structures around my street have produced 4 silver rings, a silver brooch, 3 silver coins (one 1919!)!!! I've only detected since June. Also have a silver coin I found on my lawn a piece of silver jewelry.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I have a BH jr.! Did you find anything good with yours?

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have started in the early 60's in the infancy of Civil War relic hunting and dream of what it was like especially to relic hunt battlefields for the first time. Campsites can still be found, but the battlefields are basically all well-hunted(although you can still find relics there if you are persistent.)Of course only problem was I wasn't born for many years yet. lol Those days are long gone and those that experienced that are so lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread