If youre wondering where the luck was yesterday, I had it! Sorry...

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're wondering where the luck was yesterday, I had it! Sorry...

Well, I had one of those rare big thrift scores yesterday. A very shiny thrift score.

So I head out with my mom for a few hours after work and we hit our ā€˜once every few monthsā€™ thrift shop nearby and I crash my normal spots first. Silver-plate (usually) hollowware, then the jewelry, then the belts, then the glassware, then the picture frames, followed by a thorough inside pocket suit check because why notā€”I could use a peppermint and a used hankie, right? And then finally a quick jaunt over to the vintage Tā€™sā€”no Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin today. Damn! At this point I had only picked out the nice amethyst, agate and sterling bead and clasp necklace for $5ā€”not bad, and then the pin that looked gold but later tested otherwiseā€¦ So Iā€™m mostly empty handed at this point and still havenā€™t recouped the gas money as I head back to my mother.

But wait! I forgot to check the flatware! Never forget to check the flatwareā€¦ This place hangs them on a rack in little baggies. Four to six spoons, knives or forks in each bag. I noticed some newly hung bags, and that silver color caught my eye. Of course silver-plate typically has the same looking tone from a few feet away, so I expected some International Silver-plate garbage. Yeah, I was wrong. Sterling. Sterling. Another bag of sterling. Sterling handle knives. Sterling. You know, just having the knowledge that someone isnā€™t checking flatware before it hits the sales floor is half the treasure.

Excluding the knives, 33oz of .925 @ $18.40 out the door! Game, set, match.

It was at the next thrift where I hit the other jewelry bits. Sterling Gorham Unicorn three piece sterling set for $40 (A little steep, but easily worth $100 with the bracelet which is the money-maker)
The mother of pearl inlay sterling bracelet, paid too much @ $15, but Iā€™m a sucker for shiny. Iā€™ll flea market it and hold out for $20 and call it a day.
Then the Jaguar clasp sterling bracelet. Milor Italy. $4.75, most people ask about $100 for this style, but Iā€™ll be realistic and aim for that fifty dollar mark.

The candlestick looked like etched depression glass. It didnā€™t have a mate, but worth two bucks to meā€¦

Also snagged a nice barely-used longboard for $9ā€”another easy $40-$50 flip. Or Iā€™ll keep it and quit may day job and grow my hair out and maybe procure a VW bus so I can snag my herb in style. Nahā€¦

Thrift victories are bliss. Thank you!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! Share some of that luck!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, thank you for posting this! I never heard of a jaguar clasp, so I googled it. Nice job! You have very interesting things there. The bear earrings should also bring in a nice penny. Congrats on these finds.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, thank you for posting this! I never heard of a jaguar clasp, so I googled it. Nice job! You have very interesting things there. The bear earrings should also bring in a nice penny. Congrats on these finds.

Thank you! The bear earrings were actually a throw-in. I let a coworker have them for 5 bucks. They aren't signed which sucks. Probably 20-25 bucks as a nice vintage unsigned Native American piece...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread