Im still here...nice 6lb cannon ball, colonial silver and buttons!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still here...nice 6lb cannon ball, colonial silver and buttons!

Wow...this winter has been a blur, between snow covered grounds, business trips, spending time with the new baby, it just seems like digging has not been a priority, though I promise it is...withdrawals were killing me!

Most of this is from yesterday with Bill, though I threw a few finds in from two other hunts (sad, the only other hunts in March!).

Yesterday I was in pit mode, searching, digging test holes and looking to investigate every sign or clue at a site that I am confident has some nice pits to be found. All that I could scrounge were about 15 colonial buttons and other odds and ends...still fun...but no pit.

We decided to end the day back at our 1600's site that honestly has not produced a whole heck of a lot...that changed with a musket ball and broken trapezoidal buckle...then a deep but all too familiar sound caught my attention. I actually called it in my head before digging as I thought it was probably a cannon ball...I then told Bill I think that is what I had...though I had by that time put my hand on it. After a few more shovel fulls a nice rev war era (or actually earlier) 6lb solid shot emerged. I need to clean it to be exact with the size and proper ID (though I am confident it is rev war or earlier based on where it was found).

Other than that I did have a decent day while Bill was busy finding his sword basket the other day. I managed a nice worn, but still happy with, silver cob and solid silver cufflink...coins have been a bit sparse for me this winter, though we all have droughts.

A couple of the buckles were dug earlier in the month at a site that held great promise only to disappoint (that is all that was there!).

I will get better with keeping up on the forum...apologies for falling off the radar the past month or so...plenty of PM's to respond to (this is really my first log in for over 3 weeks...so was not ignoring you).

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 20
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and Bill are doing very well. Great that you both got fantastic iron finds on the same trip. How often does that happen?? I just had to get on Tnet and reply to you two. Been busy 'round here, but we had a very nice hunt ourselves. Will try to post tomorrow.

Congrats on the sweet 6-pounder!

-Buck

Thanks man...I actually found the cob the day bill found the basket and the ball the day he found the VA Half...guess it was a coin:iron ratio ha ha.

Looking forward to seeing what you found.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread