What's new

Shot-Gun Alley...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,538
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This field was Winter Oilseed Rape & they have disc'ed it up so it's diggable in this heatwave. Some of the stalks were still in the way but otherwise it was fairly flat.
This is the first time my detecting partner has tried this site & I wasn't too sure how much Cru'dad & I had left.
When we both starting digging plenty of shotgun shells, it gave me plenty of hope of other finds.
The first picture (found by my mate) is something I have never seen. It was in the Roman area & it was once a ball shaped flint which was either drilled or had a natural hole that they filled with lead. Maybe a homemade Steel-yard weight? Her also had about 7 Roman coins, medieval buckle, Jetton & 17th C Token.
I only has 3 Roman Coins
Roman Snake Head Bracelet fragment
Unknown Curved Roman Pin
Neolithic Flint (shame it was bust)
Bits...
3.5hrs:
1.webp
2.webp
3.webp
4.webp
 
Upvote 27
This field was Winter Oilseed Rape & they have disc'ed it up so it's diggable in this heatwave. Some of the stalks were still in the way but otherwise it was fairly flat.
This is the first time my detecting partner has tried this site & I wasn't too sure how much Cru'dad & I had left.
When we both starting digging plenty of shotgun shells, it gave me plenty of hope of other finds.
The first picture (found by my mate) is something I have never seen. It was in the Roman area & it was once a ball shaped flint which was either drilled or had a natural hole that they filled with lead. Maybe a homemade Steel-yard weight? Her also had about 7 Roman coins, medieval buckle, Jetton & 17th C Token.
I only has 3 Roman Coins
Roman Snake Head Bracelet fragment
Unknown Curved Roman Pin
Neolithic Flint (shame it was bust)
Bits...
3.5hrs:
View attachment 2260960View attachment 2260961View attachment 2260962View attachment 2260963
A very good day!
 
how often do you find flint points?
Tough question, as they only turn up on some fields, so depends on if the conditions on those fields give me a chance to see them & whether I'm on them at all. If I had to guess may 1 in 20 outings, although they would be mostly scrappers, I hardly ever find arrow heads. Maybe 1 in every 5 years.
 
If that broken point has similar flaking on the other side there is only one culture in UK that flaked flint like that. Only the Solutrians flaked bifacially. They were around from 21,000 to 17,000 yrs ago. I sent you a PM recently regarding another similar point you found several yrs ago. I’m sure anyone that researches the Upper Paleolithic would be interested in your finds.
 
This field was Winter Oilseed Rape & they have disc'ed it up so it's diggable in this heatwave. Some of the stalks were still in the way but otherwise it was fairly flat.
This is the first time my detecting partner has tried this site & I wasn't too sure how much Cru'dad & I had left.
When we both starting digging plenty of shotgun shells, it gave me plenty of hope of other finds.
The first picture (found by my mate) is something I have never seen. It was in the Roman area & it was once a ball shaped flint which was either drilled or had a natural hole that they filled with lead. Maybe a homemade Steel-yard weight? Her also had about 7 Roman coins, medieval buckle, Jetton & 17th C Token.
I only has 3 Roman Coins
Roman Snake Head Bracelet fragment
Unknown Curved Roman Pin
Neolithic Flint (shame it was bust)
Bits...
3.5hrs:
View attachment 2260960View attachment 2260961View attachment 2260962View attachment 2260963
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom