Hello MinerGirl....Whoa....O.K.....you just hit a nerve. You are letting a cat out of a bag talking about 'pipes'. First off, where did you find your research on pipes in the
Okanogan? I've been 'sitting' on a possible small 'swarm' of pipes for 18 years. Not sure what to do with them, or if I want to do anything.
'Pipes" come in 3 forms; kimberlite, lamproite, and possibly lamprophyre (sp). Not all are diamondiferous. If they are, diamonds will be either industrial or gem (there is more reward for industrial stones than gems due to the volume of production).
The Okanogan in the U.S. lies at the southern end of an archon. That's potential. This subject needs a new thread. Now as to the picture of what I still think is a 'pipe',
First some background. The ground you see in the pic is all glacial till (quite alkaline, good call). Bedrock is about 50' under so it's not a sinkhole, not a cinder cone.
Meteors strike at all angles. I think this is a small volume-high speed impact. I did some research on getting it identified but it is very difficult so next spring I'm going
to go dig around. I can see it everyday and it's not going anywhere, and it's on BLM land.
Back to 'pipes', when I found what I think are pipes I was not inclined to look for "indicator" minerals. I just started crushing samples of rock and spending days on the microscope. I finally found a microscopic diamond and had it examined (in matrix) by a GIA jeweler. He said it was a diamond. I then took the sample to a diamond prospecting company in B.C. Canada. They were only interested in Kimberlite, not lamproite, which is what I think I have. I did not get the sample back, to my deep regret.
Yup, there are a lot of 'pipes' out there to be found, just ask Chuck Fipke.