In the mud

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been driving by this spot all week, wishing I had time to detect it when it was not occupied by excavators/workers/etc. Watched alot of "good" dirt get trucked out all week, the rain on friday helped slow things down a bit, not sure where it was trucked to. Stopped by this morning, after the rain for a quick go'round. Hot spot number two wasn't quite ready to be hunted, fingers crossed for next day off....

here's the stuff:
some old candle lantern lookin things, lotsa broken bottles, a few neat rocks, an older bullet, lotsa "hot rocks" and slag...

93174704.jpg

not quite sure what this is? looks blank on the flipside.... a lil smaller than a dime
c4cef6a2.jpg

some sort of bird button..?
cdc157c0.jpg

flipside.. says "Horstmann - N York & Phila" (can't find the exact one anywhere via goog'lin?)
6280e893.jpg

cleaned up a bit, cival war union navy button of sorts:
cdf962ee.jpg

not sure on this either, the teeth rotate kinda like a belt buckle, but not tough enough to be a belt buckle...
db21035b.jpg

my first buffalo nickel, pretty rough, but I'll take it....
15f2bd57.jpg

cleaned up a bit, 1916:
891ca510.jpg

a7543843.jpg

had highest of hopes for this bad boy, heavy like GOLD, but I think it's a lead "blob", kinda encased in concrete crud...
91addeba.jpg

could it be a ring? or a compression ring..... not sure how far back compression fittings date?...
d38a02c9.jpg

old marble...
63a704a7.jpg

neat, old??, bottle... time period??
89ea7ee8.jpg

7b87edd2.jpg

Not bad for a very quick, hunt in the mud!

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Post that button on the button forum...I think it predates the CW cuz the eagle faces its left (but I dont know buttons much)...very nice digs RC...and I think you have a ring too...what did it show up as?

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some very good finds Rye.

I think the buckle might be from suspenders.

Like Jersy Devl suggested, post the button in the button forum or better yet, post it in the What's It Forum. I had better luck finding out about my Eagle Button there than I did in the Button Forum.

HH
DJH

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some sort of bird button..?
cdc157c0.jpg

flipside.. says "Horstmann - N York & Phila" (can't find the exact one anywhere via goog'lin?)

I Found your button or one very similar to it.

Federal Navy Button

Here's a link

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkHorstmannWH.htm

It's either the B4284 Federal Navy button

or

B5773 Federal Navy button

Both are towards the bottom of the page on the link that I provided. Looks like you got your self one heck of a cool find and it's older than you probably thought :icon_thumleft:

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to retitle your post to something like "Another Civil War Era Button Found in Michiana"

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Wow Rye....you are doin' great!!!!! Since I haven't been able to get out much of late, I thought it ok to allow you to dig in the county.... ;D

Looking forward to our next group hunt!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread