In the mud

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been driving by this spot all week, wishing I had time to detect it when it was not occupied by excavators/workers/etc. Watched alot of "good" dirt get trucked out all week, the rain on friday helped slow things down a bit, not sure where it was trucked to. Stopped by this morning, after the rain for a quick go'round. Hot spot number two wasn't quite ready to be hunted, fingers crossed for next day off....

here's the stuff:
some old candle lantern lookin things, lotsa broken bottles, a few neat rocks, an older bullet, lotsa "hot rocks" and slag...

93174704.jpg

not quite sure what this is? looks blank on the flipside.... a lil smaller than a dime
c4cef6a2.jpg

some sort of bird button..?
cdc157c0.jpg

flipside.. says "Horstmann - N York & Phila" (can't find the exact one anywhere via goog'lin?)
6280e893.jpg

cleaned up a bit, cival war union navy button of sorts:
cdf962ee.jpg

not sure on this either, the teeth rotate kinda like a belt buckle, but not tough enough to be a belt buckle...
db21035b.jpg

my first buffalo nickel, pretty rough, but I'll take it....
15f2bd57.jpg

cleaned up a bit, 1916:
891ca510.jpg

a7543843.jpg

had highest of hopes for this bad boy, heavy like GOLD, but I think it's a lead "blob", kinda encased in concrete crud...
91addeba.jpg

could it be a ring? or a compression ring..... not sure how far back compression fittings date?...
d38a02c9.jpg

old marble...
63a704a7.jpg

neat, old??, bottle... time period??
89ea7ee8.jpg

7b87edd2.jpg

Not bad for a very quick, hunt in the mud!

Post that button on the button forum...I think it predates the CW cuz the eagle faces its left (but I dont know buttons much)...very nice digs RC...and I think you have a ring too...what did it show up as?

Those are some very good finds Rye.

I think the buckle might be from suspenders.

Like Jersy Devl suggested, post the button in the button forum or better yet, post it in the What's It Forum. I had better luck finding out about my Eagle Button there than I did in the Button Forum.

HH
DJH

some sort of bird button..?
cdc157c0.jpg

flipside.. says "Horstmann - N York & Phila" (can't find the exact one anywhere via goog'lin?)

I Found your button or one very similar to it.

Federal Navy Button

Here's a link

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkHorstmannWH.htm

It's either the B4284 Federal Navy button

or

B5773 Federal Navy button

Both are towards the bottom of the page on the link that I provided. Looks like you got your self one heck of a cool find and it's older than you probably thought :icon_thumleft:

You might want to retitle your post to something like "Another Civil War Era Button Found in Michiana"

Wow Rye....you are doin' great!!!!! Since I haven't been able to get out much of late, I thought it ok to allow you to dig in the county.... ;D

Looking forward to our next group hunt!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back