Inceridle find

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find

Once in a lifetime. It's still there. Would you take it?
DSC_0276 small.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It's still there." Do you understand this? I concealed it with stones where it was, in the place it was found.
Yes, for the , what, fourth time, I value opinions. It means little to me if you or anyone agrees with me to leave it. Why would it matter to me?
Many years ago I took one. Death of a loved one shortly after that. Big wave, though he also seems irritated by the question, replied in regards to the spiritual aspect of the find. That is my interest for the most part.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not asking for advice. The decision was made. Definitely wanted to show it off. Try as I might, the ego is intact. I appreciate your comments Big Wave.

Well in your words, if the "decision was made" would you care to share it? This is the point of confusion. At least for me.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The decision to leave it. The decision not to notify an arc, not to have it in a museum. As noted that was the decision I made. There is no point to having it placed in the bowels of some museum as are 90% of the material goods found at sites. It does not reveal anything new.

What would you do is the opinion asked for, not what should I do?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything on public lands belongs to the people.Last time I checked.
All Human Beings are People, Including Me.

Nuff Said other then . I wish I found it :thumbsup:

Nice Piece !

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The decision to leave it. The decision not to notify an arc, not to have it in a museum. As noted that was the decision I made. There is no point to having it placed in the bowels of some museum as are 90% of the material goods found at sites. It does not reveal anything new.

What would you do is the opinion asked for, not what should I do?

As I said, I was confused by some of the responses you gave. I assumed you already had it in your possession. I apologize.

If you don't want it I don't know why you wouldn't donate it or let archies have it. That's my humble, uninformed opinion.

I kind of get the bad mojo thing but I don't really buy into it. That is a really beautiful find. Thank you for sharing it.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries Doubter, you are about the ten millionth person in 60 years that has told me I have confused them.

Thank you for your opinion, it is appreciated.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's to say that it's not in it's original place? If I found it on my land I would bring it up to the house and keep it safe and maybe later on down the road I would let the archeological team that works the site across town look at it and tell me it's story. That's a more than great find but yeah like monsterrack said better in your safe keeping than being kicked around by some kid.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! that is an incredible find. If I found such a find I would surely keep it from nature and it's basic destructive deterioration. My wife grew up next to the Crow reservation and believes that if there is any association with a human burial it should be left alone. But if it was left there as a stash for storing food, there would be no harm in keeping it. I certainly do not believe in such ''joojoo'', Things in this life happen with or without our influence.

OP
OP
C

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's to say that it's not in it's original place? If I found it on my land I would bring it up to the house and keep it safe and maybe later on down the road I would let the archeological team that works the site across town look at it and tell me it's story. That's a more than great find but yeah like monsterrack said better in your safe keeping than being kicked around by some kid.

you all gots me thinkin

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would rather it be kept safe in my house and know where it came from , other than some dude find it and hock it at a pawn shop or sell it at a flee market, but thats just me, taking it home as long as it was legal would be no different than packing home a arrowhead, but again thats just me.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you found it. Some pieces are meant to be found by someone educated enough to learn from it. You would make a fine host, Your intentions seem solid, your karma should be fine. Thank you for sharing a photo of it. Some university would not post it on here for anyone interested. I hope you can find more information to share about this piece

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The site contained nothing more. Strange as that is. If there was more, I would be in favor of notifying an arc. The bones were mule dinner for some Apaches. likely boiled it in the charred Mimbres pot. They took whatever else was there.

Not sure what to think about a pot just laying on the ground.
most of my understanding is pots were often buried as if to return some day or destroyed.
I could take you to hills covered with shards.
A site can't be determined by what's on the surface. Often sites are dug deep and sifted.
I really don't understand a pot on the surface just laying there.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are worried over joojoo just ship it to me and I can take care of it:laughing7:I have a friend that felt that way, so she went and buried a pot in a local mound way back in the woods and I'm the only one who knows which mound she put it in and the spot. I'm not going to ever go get it, just so I can keep the friendship. It's yours ,you are the finder do what you wish.:thumbsup: If it was me it would be in my collection.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anything on public lands belongs to the people.Last time I checked.
All Human Beings are People, Including Me.

Nuff Said other then . I wish I found it :thumbsup:

Nice Piece !

Wish that was the case for oil being found :/ .

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Someone needs to rescue that artifact. Be it you or an archy.
Unless an artifact is a definite burial item,(which I doubt for that being in the open) I have no problem picking them up and taking them home as long as it's legal, on private property with permission and within the law.
I've been an artist of sorts my whole life and also a tool user/maker and the way I see it if some collector in the future found one of my mallets or pots or paintings and took it home to be proudly displayed and shown then I would smile from my grave.

ps) more pics please

justbrian55

Apr 10, 2016
Top side Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
After what I learned of the fate of Lucy the T-rex any oddball thing I ever find will be from found on my land. :-l

The base word of wonderful is wonder is it not? Does it not cause you wonder Mr. Crowfriend?
~ I'd say this piece found you.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to touch with a 10 foot pole .............................................................................

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have a hard time leaving it knowing that it will probably be ruined either on accident or on purpose. The people who are saying they would never remove an artifact are the same that post there finds that make up this forum. At the very least it would be well taken care of in a museum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread