Incredible! An old relic revisited

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After reading this morning's paper, I turned on the computer to catch up on the latest in TNet. At the same time, while waiting for the screen to appear, I was looking at some old relics on my desk. Among them was a little teapot that I posted last year (first picture). I'm not sure why, but I looked on the bottom and saw letters, something I'd never noticed before. It didn't take long to recognize what the letters were: the back of a wheat penny!(second picture) Is it possible that this little teapot was forged from one or two wheats? It certainly appears that way.

Attachments

• cnteapot (2).jpg
    cnteapot (2).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 733
  • cnteapot (2).jpg
    cnteapot (2).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 731
  • wheateapot (Small).jpg
    wheateapot (Small).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 761
  • wheateapot2 (Small).jpg
    wheateapot2 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 742
Upvote 0
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Now another question: since I found this at the silver farm last year, should I add another wheat penny to the totals below? This would make at least #443, I think.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Wow.. cool.. Google "Hobo Art" or "Tramp Art" ... might be from that time period. I've seen tons of stuff from the 1930s.. Depression era.. they would make all sort of things to sell... Is there anyway to look inside?? A date would be great.. but that looks impossible... and damn th eluck if it was a 1909 S VDB ;-)

MonkeyBoy

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
MonkeyBoy said:
Wow.. cool.. Google "Hobo Art" or "Tramp Art" ... might be from that time period. I've seen tons of stuff from the 1930s.. Depression era.. they would make all sort of things to sell... Is there anyway to look inside?? A date would be great.. but that looks impossible... and damn th eluck if it was a 1909 S VDB ;-)

MonkeyBoy
The only way to look inside is to destroy it :'(. Yeah, with my luck it would be an S VDB, or a 14D!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Now another question: since I found this at the silver farm last year, should I add another wheat penny to the totals below?

I don't count coins that were made into jewelry/relics in my coin totals, but since you found it, it's your call, Henry.

If it's an actual wheat penny, that is unbelievable workmanship. :o It may be just a coincidence with the lettering....Are there any other markings on it? There's a lot of lettering/art work on a wheatie.

Very cool!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Captn_SE said:
Now another question: since I found this at the silver farm last year, should I add another wheat penny to the totals below?

I don't count coins that were made into jewelry/relics in my coin totals, but since you found it, it's your call, Henry.

If it's an actual wheat penny, that is unbelievable workmanship. :o It may be just a coincidence with the lettering....Are there any other markings on it? There's a lot of lettering/art work on a wheatie.

Very cool!!

CAPTN SE
Dan
Dan, I was being facetious about adding it to my wheat total! What difference is there, really, between 442 and 443? ;D. Here are all the markings I can identify: ONE CENT, most of UNITED STATES, most of AMERICA. Where you would expect wheat ears, on the side of the teapot, it appears that the surface was filed or sanded smooth. I also believe that a gilt finish was applied to the teapot; this is not a natural penny shine, especially for a dug piece. Some of the finish remains. You really have to look under a magnifying glass to see the letters strongly. It also helps that I have bifocals now, and didn't last summer when I found this.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
;D ;D ;D If the lid came off, you can count it as 2 individual wheats. :tongue3:

Wow, if you can read all those other letters on your tiny teapot, it's definitely a Wheatie!! :thumbsup: I can't find anything like it on the Net....All my searches have led me to many dollhouse miniature sites, but no "Teeny Weeny Wheatie Teapots". :icon_study:

Congrats again!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

UPDATE: I take it back....I just found one on an old listing in Ebay...Check it out Henry!! :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MINIATU...1576709QQihZ013QQcategoryZ66518QQcmdZViewItem

Dang, and the winning bid was $52. Very Nice!!!!

Attachments

• wheat_teapot.jpg
    wheat_teapot.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 448
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Captn_SE said:
;D ;D ;D If the lid came off, you can count it as 2 individual wheats. :tongue3:

Wow, if you can read all those other letters on your tiny teapot, it's definitely a Wheatie!! :thumbsup: I can't find anything like it on the Net....All my searches have led me to many dollhouse miniature sites, but no "Teeny Weeny Wheatie Teapots". :icon_study:

Congrats again!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

UPDATE: I take it back....I just found one on an old listing in Ebay...Check it out Henry!! :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MINIATU...1576709QQihZ013QQcategoryZ66518QQcmdZViewItem

Dang, and the winning bid was $52. Very Nice!!!!
Amazing! Now you know I'm not hallucinating! Now we need to figure out who made them.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible piece!

I seem to recall The Antiques Road Show featuring silver miniatures that were similar a year or two ago.

What a wonderful discovery!! :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I just discovered a business...buying little tea kettles made out of US pennies from the website that Captn SE found for $15 then selling them on Ebay for $52. A $37 profit for each one. Easy money....

Congratulations again on an awesome find.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread