๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Incredible early 1600s sword basket hilt recovered + 1580s jetton and more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
This weekend I was finally able to escape the seemingly perpetual cabin fever mode I'd been in lately after only getting out for one short hunt over the last 5 weeks. I started things off by hooking up with my good friend Joey to make the long trek back to the county that produced the Lord Baltimore sixpence. Joey had recently discovered that the owner of the Lord Baltimore tract was also in control of another nearby land patent site, and we tried to contact him for the go-ahead. But we went by his house 3 different times during the day but could never catch him home. So we were forced to hit an old site, and managed to get into a couple of small, new ones, and didn't get into the production we had hoped for, but we did manage a few keepers. We hope to go back soon and secure permission for the first site as it has high potential based on Joey's research.

I decided to play hooky from church on Sunday, and met up with my buddy Dan for our first hunt since the end of January. Our first stop was at an old site, but one where Dan had ran into a little 1600s hotspot in the woods not long ago. We pounded the area, but in spite of a large field of small iron and brick, we could not pull out any real keepers. We then moved on to another previously hunted site, the one that produced the rattlesnake and stars button on our last hunt there, but things were a bit slow there as well. We then made our way to an adjacent field where we had researched a small 200 acre land patent dating all the way back to 1619, and one that we'd been eyeing for quite some time. After a long walk we came to the narrow peninsula and started noticing brick frags scattered about. We turned our machines on, and I hadn't walked 5 feet when I heard the first signal. It was rather low on the scale, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was shocked when a 1580s Hans Krauwinkle jetton popped out. This is my 4th jetton, and all have come from the very earliest sites so this provided for a little bit of excitement. Dan also made a nice find, but I'll leave that for him to post. At that point we had high hopes for a hammered coin to appear, but the targets were surprisingly few and far between. About halfway into hunting that spot I heard a large, deep iron signal that had the potential to be an indicator for an early trash pit. About 12-18" down I encountered a large iron object, and was expecting it to be a colonial hoe. When I reached down to pull it out I could tell it was obviously not a hoe, but more of a coconut shaped artifact. Dan came over and at first we were puzzled, but then he quickly suggested it just might be a very early sword basket hilt, and after we knocked a little more of the dirt off and saw the intricate designs cut into it we were convinced that's what I had just unearthed. A similar one was recovered from Jamestown a few years ago, and I saw several others like it on the web. From the info I gathered it could date anywhere from the late 1500s to the mid-1600s, and was part of a broad or backsword (single edge blade). Definitely a rare, museum quality piece, and one of the coolest things I've ever dug. I have it in the electrolysis tank now, and hopefully it'll clean up before it falls apart. But its pretty substantial so its got a good chance to survive.

Later we secured another permission for what appeared to be a killer spot - a high flat plateau along a well-know early colonial creek, but it was totally devoid of any period artifacts. At the end of the day we wanted to check out one last spot that we've been wanting to get into, but we found out the owner had moved and the house was vacant. We still decided to make a quick drive back to check out the field, but the soybeans had never been cut. But then we we got involved in an unpleasant situation, and I'll leave that for Dan to explain in his post. When we finally resolved the issue we both agreed it was time to call it a day.

Attachments

• 030815a.jpg
    030815a.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 682
  • 030815b.jpg
    030815b.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 629
  • 030815c.jpg
    030815c.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 536
  • 030815d.jpg
    030815d.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 030815e.jpg
    030815e.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 030815j.jpg
    030815j.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 610
  • 030815i.jpg
    030815i.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 664
  • 030815h.jpg
    030815h.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 612
  • 030815g.jpg
    030815g.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 532
  • 030815f.jpg
    030815f.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 526
  • 030815k.jpg
    030815k.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 64

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could be wrong but that looks to me like the basket hilt of a Scottish Claymore. Not the "Braveheart" two-handed sword type, but the later "backsword" type.

I don't know if we're allowed to include web links in our posts, but do an image search online for "basket hilt claymore" and you'll see that the size and shape of the hilt you have is very similar. If not a claymore, one of the other similar types like the schiavona or heavy cavalry sword.

I recommend lending it to a museum to get their feedback on whether to try to restore it or keep it as is in a climate controlled case, unless you have a lot of experience restoring old metal artifacts. Iron and bronze in particular can be very brittle in that state, and I'd really hate to see something that complete (and beautiful) be damaged.

Either way, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this will either be in the top 5 best finds this year. Great stuff! Gets me excited to get out there.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but that looks to me like the basket hilt of a Scottish Claymore. Not the "Braveheart" two-handed sword type, but the later "backsword" type.

I don't know if we're allowed to include web links in our posts, but do an image search online for "basket hilt claymore" and you'll see that the size and shape of the hilt you have is very similar. If not a claymore, one of the other similar types like the schiavona or heavy cavalry sword.

I recommend lending it to a museum to get their feedback on whether to try to restore it or keep it as is in a climate controlled case, unless you have a lot of experience restoring old metal artifacts. Iron and bronze in particular can be very brittle in that state, and I'd really hate to see something that complete (and beautiful) be damaged.

Either way, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this will either be in the top 5 best finds this year. Great stuff! Gets me excited to get out there.

Thanks for that info - very interesting. I tried doing the search you suggested but didn't find anything that looked similar to my hilt. There's not a problem posting links here (I've done it many times), so if you don't mind please post the one you were talking about. Thanks again .....

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For now- Put it into into Three pints water- two tablesponns salt!In a plastic container. no electrics.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING Bill!!!! Congrats on the recoveries and the BANNER!!! :occasion14:
Looking forward to reading your story in the recent issue W&ET mag. I knows its got to be good. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAHHHHHHH! :BangHead::BangHead: Bill โ€“ I just typed up two paragraphs on your fantastic find and accidentally logged-off โ€“ lost all my accolades. Oh well, my words couldnโ€™t have done justice to such a fantastic find. I havenโ€™t seen anything like that on T-Net or much anywhere else! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: What an incredible find!

Surprisingly, I found an identical sword handle a while ago. I was so excited with my recovery, and then...:sleepy2:โ€ฆ my alarm clock went off. I woke up from my pleasant dream, and it was time to get up for work. It wasnโ€™t even the weekend โ€“ no detecting. Youโ€™ve really caught up quick to that slow start for the season with the cold weather. Congrats on an amazing, museum-quality find!

Here a picture of an early 17th century sword and a breech-loading cannon found in association with some Indian graves in the vicinity of an old Dutch trading post. The site is about ยฝ hour drive from my house. The photo puts your find in perspective.

CANNON, SWORD, ETC. FOUND IN RI.jpg

The photo was taken by a local historical society when the finds were recovered way back around the 1920โ€™s. Ground was being dug for a house foundation. The discovered material was not found by detectorists in any manner. I donโ€™t want anyone getting the wrong idea.

Bill โ€“ Again, congrats on another amazing discovery!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For now- Put it into into Three pints water- two tablesponns salt!In a plastic container. no electrics.

I have it in water now (and in a plastic container), but not sure about the salt. I actually thought I should probably be using distilled water.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill, wouldnt distilled water be extremely aggressive? I dont know the 1st thing about that type of restoration but check that distilled water thing immediately please. I would think neutral water with minerals in it to be better since the water wont try and absorb anything it touches. Be careful with that incredible find. I'd cry real tears if it fell apart. That seawater idea makes sense to me on paper since the PH would be neutral to basic and its certainly full of minerals but the sodium would seem harsh?

Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, one tremendous relic find! I hope the final restoration is great looking for you. Perhaps contact Erik G about some contacts on how to finish the restoration.
Your Jetton looks familiar to me, I cataloged my friends inherited coin collection and a 1500s French Jetton was amongst the coins, but darn if I can find a photo of it now to compare with yours........
Don

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! You sure did better than I. I finally got to get out too, and searched in some of the fields I have been researching all through this snow and cold. I usually can only go out about three hours tops before my back starts slowing me down. I spent over five hours out Monday, in my T shirt yet!
I found a few brick pieces and house signs and a some promising little irony areas. My finds? Nada! NOTHING!
I haven't gotten totally stiffed since I started. I was sure something would turn up. Then I come back and check Tnet and you have sword hilt posted! OMGosh!
Great find. Congrats and good luck on the restoration or at least the preservation. WTG!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! You sure did better than I. I finally got to get out too, and searched in some of the fields I have been researching all through this snow and cold. I usually can only go out about three hours tops before my back starts slowing me down. I spent over five hours out Monday, in my T shirt yet!
I found a few brick pieces and house signs and a some promising little irony areas. My finds? Nada! NOTHING!
I haven't gotten totally stiffed since I started. I was sure something would turn up. Then I come back and check Tnet and you have sword hilt posted! OMGosh!
Great find. Congrats and good luck on the restoration or at least the preservation. WTG!

Sounds like someone beat you to it on those fields. Lots of competition around here.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sword piece is amazing, I hope it cleans up well if you decide to try electrolysis

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that info - very interesting. I tried doing the search you suggested but didn't find anything that looked similar to my hilt. There's not a problem posting links here (I've done it many times), so if you don't mind please post the one you were talking about. Thanks again .....

When I get home tonight I'll post some pictures.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very late on this one Bill, but WOW. Just Wow.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like someone beat you to it on those fields. Lots of competition around here.

I have been coming to that conclusion for awhile now. I knew it was true in town, although I still can find neat things there, but now out in the fields too, ouch!
BUT - I have an old plan I used years ago for Native artifacts, I'm going to be trying that next.
Still glad to have some hunting weather though!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there- been reading a lot about stabilizing artifacts since you posted your find, and there are a lot of varying opinions. The stuff I find
has been in the sea.

I thought this was interesting to read. I'm sure you could send this guy an email describing your situation, if you haven't found an expert already.

Archaeologist, Chemical Engineer Unite in a War on Rust | Michigan Tech News

There is an email for that dept at the end of the article, and the comments are worth reading,

Anyway, good luck!

Rory

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi there- been reading a lot about stabilizing artifacts since you posted your find, and there are a lot of varying opinions. The stuff I find
has been in the sea.

I thought this was interesting to read. I'm sure you could send this guy an email describing your situation, if you haven't found an expert already.

Archaeologist, Chemical Engineer Unite in a War on Rust | Michigan Tech News

There is an email for that dept at the end of the article, and the comments are worth reading,

Anyway, good luck!

Rory

There's a ton of info on the web, plus everyone seems to have their own method for cleaning and preserving iron artifacts. Due to the fragile and historical nature of my find, I prefer to find a professional that would either be willing to give me some sound advice, or offer to perform the conservation for me. The only solid lead I have so far is the Texas A&M Conservation Research Lab. I sent them an email this morning explaining in detail my situation along with a bunch of pics. Hopefully once they respond I can decide on a safe (and hopefully not too expensive) course of action. Thanks again for your input.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome- One more thing, go around it with a small magnet if you get a chance. If it doesn't stick in places, that might be good news!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread