What's new

Incredibly Rare 1878 Padlock

Mason Jarr

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
517
Reaction score
1,912
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 80
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had time to do some electrolysis on the padlock I found at one of the western Indian Wars fort sites I have permission for. It cleaned up really well. I think if I can find someone to make a key it might even open.

I was able to do some research on it while it was in my electrolysis tank. The lock is a Model No. 1875, called the "John Chinaman". It was patented on Oct 11, 1878 by a John Gerard for the Trenton Lock & Hardware Company.

It's what is called a story lock. In this one John has stolen a bottle of whiskey through the window of a shop. You can see the bottle in his pocket. The shop owner's dog has latched onto John's leg alerting the shop owner whose hand is reaching to retrieve the whiskey.

I can't find info on how many were produced, but they are highly valuable. Some, with a key, have sold for over $6000. Without keys they sell in the $600-2000 range.

Here are some pictures after I cleaned it and put some Renaissance Wax on it. The last photo is one I found online with a key. I'm pretty excited to add it to my collection.
20250522_135556.webp
20250522_135614.webp
5.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 58
Great find! I luv old padlocks..
I guess folks didn't think too highly of "Chinamen" in the 1870's?..
I don't think they worried about political correctness back then. Ha. Thanks!
 
I had time to do some electrolysis on the padlock I found at one of the western Indian Wars fort sites I have permission for. It cleaned up really well. I think if I can find someone to make a key it might even open.

I was able to do some research on it while it was in my electrolysis tank. The lock is a Model No. 1875, called the "John Chinaman". It was patented on Oct 11, 1878 by a John Gerard for the Trenton Lock & Hardware Company.

It's what is called a story lock. In this one John has stolen a bottle of whiskey through the window of a shop. You can see the bottle in his pocket. The shop owner's dog has latched onto John's leg alerting the shop owner whose hand is reaching to retrieve the whiskey.

I can't find info on how many were produced, but they are highly valuable. Some, with a key, have sold for over $6000. Without keys they sell in the $600-2000 range.

Here are some pictures after I cleaned it and put some Renaissance Wax on it. The last photo is one I found online with a key. I'm pretty excited to add it to my collection.
View attachment 2209295View attachment 2209296View attachment 2209297
Banner or not banner that is some beautiful piece of art work Even without the key it is a life time find in outstanding condition art What more could anyone ask for .l like it for the engraving on the face and back of it It may be a lock But it is a whole lot more than a lock
 
Banner or not banner that is some beautiful piece of art work Even without the key it is a life time find in outstanding condition art What more could anyone ask for .l like it for the engraving on the face and back of it It may be a lock But it is a whole lot more than a lock
It's is a nice piece. I've found probably a half dozen old locks at these fort sites, but this one by far is the most interesting. Thanks!
 
That thing is uber cool indeed, and I agree it should be up on the Banner!
So glad that you posted it all cleaned up. :icon_thumright:
I don't know what that white dirt was that was in it, but otvtook three days in the tank for it to start flaking off. Then it kinda just fell off. There was very little rust on it. Thanks for the banner vote!
 
Fantastic lock and espically with the key !!!
 
I had time to do some electrolysis on the padlock I found at one of the western Indian Wars fort sites I have permission for. It cleaned up really well. I think if I can find someone to make a key it might even open.

I was able to do some research on it while it was in my electrolysis tank. The lock is a Model No. 1875, called the "John Chinaman". It was patented on Oct 11, 1878 by a John Gerard for the Trenton Lock & Hardware Company.

It's what is called a story lock. In this one John has stolen a bottle of whiskey through the window of a shop. You can see the bottle in his pocket. The shop owner's dog has latched onto John's leg alerting the shop owner whose hand is reaching to retrieve the whiskey.

I can't find info on how many were produced, but they are highly valuable. Some, with a key, have sold for over $6000. Without keys they sell in the $600-2000 range.

Here are some pictures after I cleaned it and put some Renaissance Wax on it. The last photo is one I found online with a key. I'm pretty excited to add it to my collection.
View attachment 2209295View attachment 2209296View attachment 2209297
OH MY GOD !! That’s beautiful
 
Thec
Fantastic lock and espically with the key !

The photo with the key is one I found on the internet. I checked all around where I found the lock, but no key. I'm working on making one for it. Thanks!
 
Wow did it clean up !! The coolness factor just got amplified... just awesome.
 
Wow did it clean up !! The coolness factor just got amplified... just awesome.
It did! I have it soaking in machine oil now. I think I'm gonna be able to open it. I'll update if I do. Thanks!
 
I had time to do some electrolysis on the padlock I found at one of the western Indian Wars fort sites I have permission for. It cleaned up really well. I think if I can find someone to make a key it might even open.

I was able to do some research on it while it was in my electrolysis tank. The lock is a Model No. 1875, called the "John Chinaman". It was patented on Oct 11, 1878 by a John Gerard for the Trenton Lock & Hardware Company.

It's what is called a story lock. In this one John has stolen a bottle of whiskey through the window of a shop. You can see the bottle in his pocket. The shop owner's dog has latched onto John's leg alerting the shop owner whose hand is reaching to retrieve the whiskey.

I can't find info on how many were produced, but they are highly valuable. Some, with a key, have sold for over $6000. Without keys they sell in the $600-2000 range.

Here are some pictures after I cleaned it and put some Renaissance Wax on it. The last photo is one I found online with a key. I'm pretty excited to add it to my collection.
View attachment 2209295View attachment 2209296View attachment 2209297
Banner
 
Again GREAT FIND !!! Good luck with getting a key for it
 
***UPDATE***
In my original post I said I'd update if I thought I'd be able to make this lock functional. It's turned out to be a little more involved than I'd anticipated, but I think it will serve its purpose once again.

After the initial electrolysis bath I got almost all the rust and crud off the outside, but I couldn't get the shackle to even wiggle. I decided I'd need to pop the cover and it became evident why it wasn't working. Anything inside made of iron was basically a ball of rust and dirt. The spring was shot, the moving arm that locks the shackle was broken and the tang on the bottom of the shackle was also broken.

Not one to quit easily I took the broken shackle to a welder in town and he was able to brass braze it back together (I still need to do a bit of fit filing on the repair). I found some springs on Amazon with the dimensions of the rusty one and ordered a small bag. The biggest chore was making a new arm to replace the broken one. Luckily almost all of the original arm was still inside the lock. I started with a piece of 1/4" flat stock and an angle grinder. When I had it pretty close I switched to hand files. Finally after fit testing it several times it worked. The last thing I needed was a key. The local locksmith had some old blanks that would work. I could see where the pins were inside the lock so I just needed to file slots in the right places. It worked, too!

Today I picked up the repaired shackle. I'll carefully file the repair until it fits again. Then I can put it all back together. It won't be all original, but the outside will be. And it'll work again!

I'll do one more update after I get it all back together.

20250616_153503.webp
20250616_153410.webp
20250616_153352.webp
20250616_153334.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom