India Bells?

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the story behind this goes as such. My grandma bought a house back in 1950 and it was built in 1939. NO ONE has metal detected this yard and that I am sure of. So I started poking around and there were 8 small bells in a 10 foot radius of each other. 7 were brass and 1 is copper. Two have "India" etched - not stamped - etched into it. No dates or anything. The guy who owned the property built it...but his mother lived on that property before him and homesteaded it back in the 1900ish.

Anyone know what in the world these are? I am also in Central Florida and this was right by the beach on the Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach barrier Island.

India.jpg
India2.jpg
India3.jpg

Upvote 3

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one a few weeks ago. It said "lucky charm" on the outside and was marked "3 Wahab Pl India". I found that there are many different variations. Still not sure of the date, I am guessing post-1900.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned them a bit more and now it turns out 2 are copper and the other 6 are bronze....

Still nothing but the two with INDIA scratched into them...Ill let them soak till morning and see what they look like.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife collects bells and she has four of those in 1 of hers it says bells of SARNA INDIA. That might be a starting point for you in your search for more info.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, never know what is going to come out of that ground? Cool finds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if they are good luck you just scored a whole lot!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife collects bells and she has four of those in 1 of hers it says bells of SARNA INDIA. That might be a starting point for you in your search for more info.

good lead, many of these mid 20th C brass bells were made in Sarna, India. Tourist pieces. Not sure why there were so many in 1 spot.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hm that is good to know! It is also interesting because I talked to my grandma and she said that the guy who owned it did not have a nickel to his name and he certainly would never have been able to travel to India haha

I think I will go over that property again next time it rains hard and see what trinkets I can find. She also pointed me to an oak tree where an really old fishing village (1890's used to hang around and such)...see if I can find the clothes line they used haha

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you likely have a old Spanish catholic church bell set --they had a T shaped staff with small bells attached to the top bar ... that they used to shake a bit when the priest was blessing the wine and communion "host" bread ----it tinkled to let folks know to "look" at the alter because something "important" is occurring since in the old days the mass was in latin , which few people understood

I found some similar tiny bells at a old abandoned mid 1800's catholic church site and being catholic myself --I know about the "ring the bell" bit to alert the folks in church to pay attention to the blessing of the host --today its not done as much unless you got a "old school type priest "...my local preist has a cast brass 3 bell set with a "handle" built into it that holds the set together that the alter boy rings as the preist blesses the host..

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh by the way -- the spanish were well known to trade bells and other trade items with the indains and indains from around the cape area were well known for looting Spanish ship wrecks for anything of value they could haul away -- ITS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT THOSE BELLS PRE DATE THE HOUSE THAT WAS BUILT THERE , BY MANY YEARS === remember just because the house was built in 1939 -- doesn't mean that the all the items in the dirt came from it ...that dirt was there a long long time before 1939 and the cape had indains that lived there called the AIS ...and the cape area is a well known "ship trap" area because of the bad reefs in the area..

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RING MY BELL ELL ELL , RING MY BELL . COOL FINDS.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you likely have a old Spanish catholic church bell set --they had a T shaped staff with small bells attached to the top bar ... that they used to shake a bit when the priest was blessing the wine and communion "host" bread ----it tinkled to let folks know to "look" at the alter because something "important" is occurring since in the old days the mass was in latin , which few people understood

I found some similar tiny bells at a old abandoned mid 1800's catholic church site and being catholic myself --I know about the "ring the bell" bit to alert the folks in church to pay attention to the blessing of the host --today its not done as much unless you got a "old school type priest "...my local preist has a cast brass 3 bell set with a "handle" built into it that holds the set together that the alter boy rings as the preist blesses the host..

I feel its a very unlikely scenario of them being old church bells. Having the word India crudely etched in them, as Crusader said they are most likely tourist items made in India and probably date from the 50s - 60s. My Dad brought me back a set of temple bells (a bit different than these) also made for tourists back in the early 60s from that part of the world--they were all hanging on a piece of white string. I still have them somewhere.

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be a wild guess, but as a Floridian, my grandmother used to have a set of bells hanging like that on a string. She used them to help her know when the wind was picking up (aka when they'd start chiming on the line) so she could take her laundry in before a storm. Maybe they were a nice, make-shift chime that time took back?

She also had a set hung on the door so she knew when it opened and closed when us little grandchildren were running all over the place.

Just some random ideas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread