What's new

Indian artifacts from Licking County, Ohio

fthunt

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
Richmond, VA
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad found these in the 1920's in Licking Co., OH. I have had them [and many others] for about 15 yrs and have no idea what they are, what age, what condition or anything else. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks, Tim
 

Attachments

  • axe back.webp
    axe back.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 601
  • axe front.webp
    axe front.webp
    117.1 KB · Views: 269
  • spear back.webp
    spear back.webp
    84.1 KB · Views: 268
  • spear front.webp
    spear front.webp
    58.1 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
Looks like a very nice raised groove axe, and a nice St. Charles piece, (dovetail) that early archaic.
 
Oh yeah! Welcome to the forum!
 
First off, Welcome to TNET! :hello:

Your first item looks like a very nice hammer/axe, and your second item looks like a Dove Tail point. Super nice finds there! :icon_thumleft:
 
Quito was right on the money with the raised ridge call. Only thing that I can add to what he said is its a 1/2 grooved axe. I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong. The groove doesn't go around the whole axe, right? That is a remarkable find. I can not say that I've ever seen a 1/2 grooved raised ridge before. I'm glad you sought information on these pieces before someone tried to talk you out of them. Unless you are in a financial crunch, don't sell these!! They don't make these "real ones" any longer! Lol! Welcome to t-net!
 
Quito was right on the money with the raised ridge call. Only thing that I can add to what he said is its a 1/2 grooved axe. I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong. The groove doesn't go around the whole axe, right? That is a remarkable find. I can not say that I've ever seen a 1/2 grooved raised ridge before. I'm glad you sought information on these pieces before someone tried to talk you out of them. Unless you are in a financial crunch, don't sell these!! They don't make these "real ones" any longer! Lol! Welcome to t-net!
At second glance, the axe may be a 3/4 grooved. Can you give us a show of the other side, please?
 
Both pieces are outstanding. The dovetail is most likely Flintridge flint and has some rind still on it. It looks like one ear is a little chipped but a still a super piece. The axe is classic. Ohio stuff is great, thanks for showing it to us.
 
I know little or nothing about this. When would these have been made? What group of people were in that part of Ohio at that time?

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Tim
 
I know little or nothing about this. When would these have been made? What group of people were in that part of Ohio at that time? Thank you for your prompt replies. Tim
The axe is mid archaic. That is around 6,000 years old. I wish I could help you with the point but it's not from NC. so my input would be invalid.
 
There is a front view and a back view of the axe in my post
 
Super sweet finds welcome to Tnet and early archaic for sure NOTWORTY !!!!!!?
 
Your looking IMHO around 6000 bc but grim will probably know a closer time as he hunts a lot in Ohio area
 
There is a front view and a back view of the axe in my post
My bad! It looked like you had rotated the piece 180 degrees rather than flipped it for the second pic. Some readings list these as 6,000BP others list them 6,000BC. BP is before present and BC, of course, before Christ. Archeologist seem to have trouble deciding which initials to use and it causes complication in determining how old artifacts are. I have read that BP is inaccurate. It's a long drawn out argument but in a nut shell BP makes 1959 the start of time. Nice piece!!
 
hey hey welcome to the tnet
nice 3/4 raised ridge axe in very nice condition and a nice Dovee (st charles/plevna?)
3/4 means the ridge is on the top and sides of the pieces (3 sides)


archaic 6000 or more years old
 
Thanks for the help. These have been in a box since dad died 15 years ago and I had no idea they were anything special. Are they nice enough that a museum in Ohio might want them as a donation?
 
Personally, I would never donate anything to a museum as they have boxes of the stuff that is never displayed. The big museum in Columbus has an outstanding collection displayed and yet only about 1/10 of what they have can be shown. Things dissapear in museums as well. If it was my fathers I would put it in a case with the history printed and keep it. JMHO.
 
Very, very nice pieces and to think they have been in a box for 15 years. A 7" 3/4-groove axe and a 5" dovetail would be a center piece of any collection, they just don't get much better than that. Don't let those go to a museum unless they are willing to pay up, some of the biggest thieves are found in a museum and your pieces would probably find their way out the back door. The museum in Columbus is a good example of how unethical these places can be.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom