Bradley,
I don't know enough about the Great Depression to know what the best remedy should have been. But what I would like to ask is, what caused it? Was it the citizens doing risky things, or probably more likely (I am guessing though) that is was caused by recklessness or excesses caused by the banks or financial institutions of the day?
If we fast forward to today we see how we were told in 2008 that the Gov had to do what they did to save us from perdition, yet we find out later that the banks and financial institutions did things that were risky and stupid, so all of us sheep have to pay for it. So I guess if the Great Depression was not the fault of citizens, it bothers me that citizens suffer any loss to help the banks and/or financial institutions, which seem to get out scot-free while still paying themselves those big bonuses, etc (remember AIG?). Maybe there was no other way to fix things in the Great Depression, I don't know.
We learn today that the banks and such have not really changed their ways too much with respect to what they were doing in 2008 and earlier, and Dodd Frank has basically been gutted to really have no teeth. So the next time we are told "we have to do this for YOUR own good", maybe we should ask who caused it and who is getting off the hook at taxpayers'/citizens' expense. It won't be gold that is "confiscated" next time because we are not on a gold standard and really nobody citizen-wise has any except jewelry. If you believe Bernanke and what he said in 2002, there will probably be some form of dollar devaluation (just like they did in 1933 when they revalued gold upward) but I don't know how they would do it this time. In other countries that have had currency problems, PM's held up exceptionally well, like in Argentina, etc. That is one reason I like PM's because in a devaluation scenario, PM's hold up very well as do other hard assets.
Just my opinion.
Jim