Indian Namesakes

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any experience doing native artifact hunts, so hopefully you all know better. I am looking for good places to find artifacts in my area, which is fairly built up. The best thing I have to go on is places with "Indian" in the name. I was wondering if anybody here knows how often places with Indian namesakes are actual Indian sites. For example, in my home town there are 3 separate locations that have been known as Indian Hill or some equivalent over the years. As far as I know these sites have had their names since at least the early 1900s, if not earlier. Did people 100 years ago actually have knowledge of Indian site locations from previous centuries, or did they just call things "Indian" for no specific reason? One of the three sites was reported to produce arrowheads frequently, but it has largely been paved over at this point, so I have no way to check. Another site is still undeveloped, but the only reason to think it could be an Indian site is the name. Is there anything there I should look for that might indicate some sort of Indian history?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in PA, look for streams and creaks that have stone or gravel bottoms, plowed fields adjacent to rivers, streams and creeks are good but be sure you have the owner's permission. Sand bars in rivers are another good location, as is any cleared land for building and home construction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in PA, look for streams and creaks that have stone or gravel bottoms, plowed fields adjacent to rivers, streams and creeks are good but be sure you have the owner's permission. Sand bars in rivers are another good location, as is any cleared land for building and home construction.

Sorry, I go to college in PA. I live in Northern NJ. However, I will use that knowledge once I go back to school.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would that still be right on the surface after all these years?

Yes in a lot of cases although disarticulated. Still, that's what I look for when surface hunting.

Look at this thread...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...92-lunch-hour-walk-new-field.html#post6770947

One more thing... forget about the modern named Indian tribe names. Most of the artifacts you will find will be so old that the name of their respective tribe is lost to history. No written record.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tried to walk the waterways first if possible, always found a a lot more whole points and artifacts there, if there is any cleared land off the waterway like farm fields or cleared land I would hunt it too if I could get permission.

Last edited:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a township map from the county surveyer's office (or use some internet resource) that shows creeks. Higher ground (even one foot higher) near where a smaller creek empties into a larger one, if it's ploughed, is where you want to look. Also, on the sites you find, along the creek edges there. Sometimes, on large sites, different peoples lived on different spots. FWIW.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plowed fields on the high ground next to rivers or large creeks are the best. I have a medium creek on my property line, no artifacts. The thing is, 2 miles away is a larger creek, and a few miles or more, the river. Although people do find arrowheads, etc., on the smaller creeks, if there is a river, that would be the more likely "draw" for the native Americans.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually just pick them up in farm fields while metal detecting. I have found a few on hillsides in parks though.

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing... forget about the modern named Indian tribe names. Most of the artifacts you will find will be so old that the name of their respective tribe is lost to history. No written record.

I kind of thought this might be the case. It does make me wonder why people named stuff "Indian whatever" despite having no idea if it had anything to do with Indians.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated before, plowed fields near streams/rivers. Go after a good rain, with permission from the landowner...or the same after harvest.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Regarding names. An added tip worth considering. If a street is named Arrowhead Lane, near those streams/rivers, the surrounding area should be considered to be worth a look.
To be successful, you?ll be willing to walk many many miles .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread