What's new

Indian or fantasy piece?

Dug

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,141
Reaction score
1,264
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Many years ago I dug out a deep trash pit in a rural part of the coastal SC Lowcountry. The bottles I pulled out were 1880s period. I was still hitting some brick and oyster shell debris below the bottles so I kept digging down. At about 4 feet I ran into this axe shaped stone. Since this area is coastal it is primarily sand and finding stone and rock is not common. I was still feeling occasional pieces of shell and small brick with the probe deeper but no heavy layer of anything. I don't know if I was in a well but there were no walls of any sort and it was too dangerous to dig deeper without fear of collapse of the hole. My thought is that I was digging the trash dump of an 1880s period home. I'm guessing the stone may have been a souvenir that was dropped and broken and then discarded. The thing that has me thinking fantasy piece is that the stone is very smooth almost as if it was sanded down and polished when made. I would guess that if it was an Indian tool it would have been chipped from chert or something with a hard edge.

I'm spring cleaning my display cabinet and if this is a broken fantasy piece I see no reason to hold onto it. Opinions?

thb.webp
thf.webp
ths.webp
thho.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an adze or celt...I'm no expert but it certainly looks like a keeper piece!
 
Celt with damaged end, really nice piece, would hold on to it if you like artifacts.
 
It is for sure , a celt . With a damaged end. A good one at that.
 
That is a Celt no doubt about it. Don't throw it away:icon_thumright:, but if you do let me send you my address.:laughing7:
 
Definitely a Celt and I fantasize about finding them. Does that count? lol

It's a keeper for sure.
 
I'd hang on to that for sure! Very nice!
 
Keeper damaged or not. I keep all Celts broken or not.
 
What everybody said. Great find!
 
Thanks for the verification. I'll keep it with my points. Glad to know it is not a fantasy piece.
 
Yep a celt with broken poll end.
Many of them were in fact fully or partially sanded down, on gritty stone or using sand to get that smooth finish.
 
With all that polish it was a prized possession!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom