Indian spearhead/arrowhead ?

tcurrier

Greenie
Aug 16, 2015
West Palm Beach, FL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just moved and noticed that I had saved something that I found 50 years ago when I was a kid.
It looks to me like an Indian spearhead. Am new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone has any
opinions as to what it actually is. Its surface is smooth and appear to be made of flint. Thanks for
any opinions. (it was found in upstate NY and it is 3 1/2 inches long)
spearhead.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a spear...Can we see other side....?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice knife.......

OP
OP
T

tcurrier

Greenie
Aug 16, 2015
West Palm Beach, FL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, neat.... I never thought of it as being a knife. Makes sense though, with the indentations
being toward the front of it. I found it when I was about 10 years old, but I knew at the time
that it was something special. Thanks for identifying it for me. Is there any chance that this
could even pre-date the Indians, like something pre-historic ?

Side view:

spearhead-side-view.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe indentions have anything to do with purpose of point. Chip on bottom of second picture appears to be damage, one on top is flaked....

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

Nice halfted knife! The notches are where it was latched onto a handle.

OP
OP
T

tcurrier

Greenie
Aug 16, 2015
West Palm Beach, FL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, the term is actually 'hafted ', right? I'm assuming that there is no way to estimate the 'manufacture' date of the artifact or even if it was of Native American Indian origin, correct?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, the term is actually 'hafted ', right? I'm assuming that there is no way to estimate the 'manufacture' date of the artifact or even if it was of Native American Indian origin, correct?

Based on the style of knife it is you can roughly get an idea on age. I'm just not good at doing it :)

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like a Turkeytail that was broke at the tip and reworked into a scraper, JMHO

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard tcurrier.

It looks like what you have is a basic Knife form used for pretty much through every culture. The indentations you see, as Treasure Hunter pointed out, are one from damage and the other looks to be use wear that was rechipped.

Where was it actually found? Did you find it in Florida? The material looks very similar to some Ohio Flint called Coshocton. As far as age, that type was used in Archaic times as well as Adena and Hopewell. It doesn't look to have the beveling one would expect to see on an Archaic Knife of that type so my best guess would be Woodland in age which would put somewhere between 1000 BC and 1000 AD. If you had other pieces found in the general area with it we could probably narrow it down more.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yes, it is Native American. You asked if it pre-dates Native Americans. No, they were here first.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO one "notch" is recent damage, there is no re-flaking, the other "notch" is old damage or usage that was re-flaked to sharpen... Not a turkey tail or hafting...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes these extra features on knives, etc. are tool surfaces in their own right, and deliberate for a specific purpose. Here is a pipe bowl reamer with a snapped base and the indentation seen is likely a spokeshave. At least it seems to show such usage. But I can't tell you if that's the case with your knife or not. Interestingly, opposite the indentation on this reamer, the very beginning of another was being worked in, if I am seeing things correctly. At any rate, when I see knives like yours, first thing I try to determine is if chips as seen on your tool were there for a reason, or simply damage, or resharpening, etcetera....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 97

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions