pet_rock_05.jpg

Hope that clears it up but maybe you can find its owner

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
In all seriousness though

Im orginally from piqua ohio hunted fields there for 19 years never came up emptied handed i have a few things in the johnson farm musem there.

More then likley it was a grinder
the big money is to go back an find the base though
Acclaim_Images_0095-0510-3019-3700.jpg

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
The arrow on the map.
Detector(s) used
My children and a good stick.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda looks like a mano...more like a pestle though. Also looks like a stalactite.

searcher

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
I dont think it was spanish.

As my bunkmate in the army used to put it. ill qoute him "Im the only mexican in Ohio."

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
If that is a mano, it is pretty irregularly shaped, and was hardly used. Manos (the held portion of a grinder setup) usually show a well rounded, worn smooth, but with obvious grind marks, bottom. If this is anything, I would call it a nut cracker.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I think it could be a crude tomahawk. Slide the small end through a hole in a club and the more its used, the deeper and tighter it gets pressed into the club. Just my theory. Nice find!

Smiles!
BDoo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
yes it is some kind of tool but not a grinder, the grinders are usually round in the bottom this in more like a hammer or to flat something maybe for cassabe.

Best,

Chagy......

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It could be a pestel although I have to agree with the people above that if it was it certainly should have more of a rounded bottom to it. If it were I would expect the bottom to be more highly polished even if only used for a short time. This is the only possibility really though, it's positively not an axe, celt, or anything else man made. I would personally give it a 15% chance of being a pestel and 85% of being just a rock. I could tell you for sure if I could see it in person. If it's man made there will still be use-wear evdience, even if just from making it, like tiny tiny little pits covering some or all of the artifact from the the peck and grind method of manufacture. Or tiny striations in the smoother surface from being polished and or shaped.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
It looks like a stalagtite or stalagmite that came dislodged off the wall of a cave to me. At the flat side can you see a crystalline interior that looks like concentric rings? (kinda like a tree rings growth).

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coldstone543 said:
While detecting along the great miami river in Hamalton ohio I found this stone at a construction site.At first I thought it might be a fossil but after close examination I think it is an ancient indian tool.Any help ID would be helpful good luck hunting and thanks.

It looks like a Mano (a grinder). The size would indicate that it was possibly used for small jobs (like a pharmacist would use a Mortar and Pestle). In the remote areas of some of the reservations they are still used today by traditional Medicine People.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I keep looking at this and trying to keep an open mind but... a mano/pestle would have a flat/rounded bottom, the stone on stone action would smooth it out, this one appears to be indented on the bottom and uneven. Celts come to an edge like an axe, I'm sure we can rule that out. The idea of it being a weathered stalagmite (sp?) is interesting though.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's what Indians used to make mojitos

;)

(kidding of course ;D )

Top Member Reactions