Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a few spots recently, one being a park that has been pounded. At the park I pulled 102 coins on Sunday including 7 Indians, a couple of buffalos, Merc, Roosie, silver ring and tiny silver heart. Also pulled over 20 wheaties and a bunch of clad and memorials. Sometimes you have to dig through the clad and memorials to get to the better coins. I also pulled a flat button and old buckle from this park. Went with a friend who got permission to hunt a yard. Wasn't much, but I did find the silver Washington and war nickel, in the same hole. Finally, I went to colonial hill (more than 60 coppers have come out of this place) and after 2 hours of nothing pulled what's probably my nicest NJ out of the ground. It's a 1788 M.65-u for those interested. It's a rare variety, but nothing super rare. Much less toasted than the usual colonial I find. Also found a nickel sized flat button there.

1788 65-u obverse.jpg

1788 65-u reverse scan.jpg

20141217_175345 button.jpg

20141217_112538.jpg

20141217_112326.jpg

20141217_112640.jpg

20141217_112838.jpg

20141217_112743.jpg

Upvote 15
Great stuff, good work!

1788...That is nice! And I like the green IHC. Great day.

Wow some nice stuff Don. Love the state coppers

Nice finds especially the copper. You pulled that many old coins out of a park that has been pounded? What was it pounded with?

Man, that was a lot of good, quality finds. Very nice big copper!

Nice finds especially the copper. You pulled that many old coins out of a park that has been pounded? What was it pounded with?

Actually I know people have been detecting this park for more than 35 years. There used to be a detector dealer across the street. The good thing is it's hundreds of acres. It's hard to go to this place without running into someone with a metal detector. When the park opened in the 1860's they had over 100,000 visitors the first summer. That's a lot of people to loose coins. Biggest problem is there is so much clad. It is worth digging the clad to get to the goodies. I picked up a half real and my first seated half dime there this year.

Nice finds. Congrats on all those coins. Thats a great day of digging.

Actually I know people have been detecting this park for more than 35 years. There used to be a detector dealer across the street. The good thing is it's hundreds of acres. It's hard to go to this place without running into someone with a metal detector. When the park opened in the 1860's they had over 100,000 visitors the first summer. That's a lot of people to loose coins. Biggest problem is there is so much clad. It is worth digging the clad to get to the goodies. I picked up a half real and my first seated half dime there this year.

Oh OK now that makes some sence. That many people dropping stuff for that many years is a lot of stuff (coins). And hundreds of acres, well you know what they say "size matters".

I hunt a park occasionally, I would say maybe 15-20 acres, that's been pounded for years. Usually don't find much outside of clad or sometimes jewelry but every once in a while I'll get a good relic. Last time I hunted it I pulled out a nice script I coat button. It's one of my favorites. It surprised some very accomplished relic hunters who cut their teeth at this park.

Looks like you have a lot of great hunting left at your park. Best of Luck!

nice finds! gives me some confidence about hunting in NJ

awesome finds, great work

Nice gong on the coppers, like old parks that have a lot of natural hard to detect areas, ravines seem to hold a bit still.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back